News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two-Tone Green GPO 746, with a difference...

Started by twocvbloke, November 08, 2012, 04:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

"and releasing said spring (was being careful, honest!!!) resulted in it popping out and cutting my bottom lip, only a small nick though, still, after a good de-gunking and fresh oil in strategic places, it's all free and fast again.."

What your lip?

Joking apart, nice pair.

My Concorde Blue 746 has a horrible white plastic lever on it, not as discreet as your black one, and it feels cheap to the touch.

MY ConBlu 706, I retrofitted with a bell on/off button, so you might call them "The (silent) Blues Brothers"!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Yeah, the lever on this phone feels cheap and flimsy, not to mention isn't as nice to operate as a WE C4A type ringer's adjuster wheel, that and it cuts off the higher tone bell completely (in this case, not much of a loss as it's the annoying steel bell, which I can't stand, sounds wrong!!), so it's on par with ringing like my Cortelco 2554... :D

That reminds me actually, got the new line cable yesterday, need to fit that, but I'm waiting for the 10x 3.3kOhm resistors I bought to arrive aswell, so I can do the work all in one lump... :)

Works fine without the resistor on my Panasonic system, but if I were to use it on the phoneline, as past experience has shown, it'll probably just go "ping" once and not ring at all, and probably stop the other phones on the line ringing too... :D

twocvbloke

Honestly, there are days where I am just obviously stupid, I just noticed the compliments card that the seller ("davemillsuk" on ebay) included with the line cable has a couple of cut out & keep repro dial labels (one the grey-top label, the other the red-text older-style one), I've only had it since yesterday morning.... ::)

I don't know... :D

david@london

i've bought about 5 line cords from dave. always great to deal with. he has lots of phones.........if you see his page.

twocvbloke

Yeah, I've bought from him before now, last year (pretty much a year and a few days actually) I bought the conversion kit for the other Green 746 and a line cable for the ivory 746 (the one that turned out to be a lemon, but it's serving as a play thing for my mind, so it's lemonade for me!!), handy to know that there is still someone out there supplying such consumables for our british phones... :D

Got the resistors now, so I can finish off the conversion on this phone, I also decided to swap the grommet on the line cable with one off the original cable, the colour of the new one just seemed a touch off-colour, so, I did the swap and glued it into place, and it looks like it's an original now... ;D

And on the subject of resistors, here's an amusing picture that'll tickle any trekkie's funny bone... :D

twocvbloke

And that's the phone fully converted with a nice new line cable (even if it isn't a hard-wired one, maybe someday!!), and the innards re-jiggered to make it compatible with modern lines... :)

It's funny how that resistor looks so small, can't recall which phone it was, but one of the converted phones I have (or had) had a huge resistor, bought from an electronics shop back in Nelson in Lancashire, but it still worked...  :D

Oh, and one fun thing, the10-pack of 3.3k resistors, it turned out to be an 11-pack, and I didn't even realise until after I converted the phone and counted them to make sure I had got what I paid for, and I did, plus one more... ;D

And a picture, cos I like posting them... :D