News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric possibly 50G payphone.

Started by captroosh, January 09, 2020, 11:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

Hello all. Been a while since I have been on here. Today I was looking around online and came across this Phone for sale. It needs work obviously but  might be a worthwhile investment. What I can't determine is What brand and model it is based on the photos provided. Also as i am new to the hobby I don't know what the cost should be for such a unique fixer upper. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

RB

maybe northern electric???
did they even make phones?
If the price is right, it would be a nice one to play with  :)

captroosh

They're asking $150. It was posted a week ago so I don't know if it is still available. Waiting to here back. For me it would be like 2 phones in one' I've been wanting both a payphone and a candlestick phone. LOL
Capt. Roosh.

Dan/Panther

I agree, It is a WE style manufactured by Northern Electric. The number on the back plate starts with NE. Also notice the position of the finger wheel. How much are they asking. It would be a relatively easy repair from what I can see in the photos. Maybe not a real cheap repair.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

captroosh

Think we posted at the same time. $150 firm. I think I would agree on manufacturer The ad stated WE and made some mention of Gray but it doesn't have the names embossed on the front like I have seen. Although on the back part it also looks like the Patent dates say 1957-1960. That leads me to believe the back is a later addition to it.
Capt. Roosh.

rdelius

Note is a NE 233 set converted to look like a 50g set. 50g sets had no pull bucket, no coin return button.Note hook is not cast and is not correct.Door looks AE. trans mount the wrong type also. Should have no visible screws.Buy if for looks but it is a bad fake with later parts

captroosh

Quote from: rdelius on January 09, 2020, 01:14:49 PM
Note is a NE 233 set converted to look like a 50g set. 50g sets had no pull bucket, no coin return button.Note hook is not cast and is not correct.Door looks AE. trans mount the wrong type also. Should have no visible screws.Buy if for looks but it is a bad fake with later parts

To be fair they didn't claim any model just manufacturer. I said 50G because that was the closest I could find. I thought the hook looked fishy(sorry no pun intended). I figured it was too good to be true. Yeah I'll just keep on looking you never know. $150 is too much for a broken fake. Thanks for the input. ;D
Capt. Roosh.

Payphone installer

There was never a two piece phone made with a coin return button, or a aluminum backboard, it's a N/E 233g with a repro hook on it and now the front of the upper housing is probably ruined because somebody drilled it to mount a transmitter. It worth 75 bucks for parts.

Key2871

Yea, I was going to say it's a set made up to look old.
One thing that screams that is the coin return, those didn't come out until the sixtys.
KEN

captroosh

Thanks. I didn't even think about that. That's why I check here. Someone else bought it. Their loss my gain.
Capt. Roosh.