"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning Coiled Cords

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 21, 2013, 10:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,
I was wondering if you guys had tips on cleaning off dirty curly cords. I have a white cord that is pretty dirty and I want to know how you clean them. A more efficient way than just cleaning them with a tooth brush.

Do you but them in a cup of goo gone or what?

Thanks,
Ben

ESalter

The worst cord I've done was off of a hardwired green 2554.  I stuck it in a glass pickle jar and then filled it up with denatured alcohol.  After sitting overnight all the guck wiped right off.  Don't let is sit longer than a day or so though, the alcohol WILL make the vinyl brittle if it's in there for too long.

---Eric

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on August 21, 2013, 10:33:08 PM
The worst cord I've done was off of a hardwired green 2554.  I stuck it in a glass pickle jar and then filled it up with denatured alcohol.  After sitting overnight all the guck wiped right off.  Don't let is sit longer than a day or so though, the alcohol WILL make the vinyl brittle if it's in there for too long.

---Eric

Okay, I will have to try that, not sure what dentured alcohol is though.

Ben

ESalter

It's similar to rubbing alcohol.  It comes in metal cans like paint thinner and such, and you can find in the same area in stores.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on August 21, 2013, 11:27:25 PM
It's similar to rubbing alcohol.  It comes in metal cans like paint thinner and such, and you can find in the same area in stores.

Oh, okay, thanks!
Ben

Gilas

I pour some denatured alcohol on a rag and wipe them down. Have to rewet the rag a couple times but they look great

Dennis Markham

Ben, just keep the denatured alcohol away from your soft plastic.  It will melt it.  I've used it many times as the others have suggested for cleaning other plastics (and cords) and it works great.  Handy to have around.

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 21, 2013, 10:05:00 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if you guys had tips on cleaning off dirty curly cords. I have a white cord that is pretty dirty and I want to know how you clean them. A more efficient way than just cleaning them with a tooth brush.

Thanks,
Ben
I soak the cords in an oxyclean solution then squeegee them off with paper towel. It seems to remove everything you need removed. Of course, this is easiest if you remove the cord from the phone, but I have done then "in situ" by placing the container in a sink, and draping the cord from the phone, over the edge of the sink, then into the oxyclean...

Always worked well for me... In earlier days, I would have discarded these cords.

Below is an example of two cprds done with Oxyclean. They were soaked in a hot water/Oxyclean solution for a few hours, then hung up to dry. Before treatment, both were gray, dull, and sticky, and looked terrible. When rubbed with fingers, the fingers would come up grungy. Now look at them! The Oxyclean I use is a no-name version that comes as a powder in a plastic jar.

A great way to Streeeeeetch that cord supply!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 22, 2013, 06:32:33 AM
Ben, just keep the denatured alcohol away from your soft plastic.  It will melt it.  I've used it many times as the others have suggested for cleaning other plastics (and cords) and it works great.  Handy to have around.

Dennis thank you for telling me that, should I keep it away from the cords that come on soft plastic phones?
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on August 22, 2013, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 21, 2013, 10:05:00 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
Ben
I soak the cords in an oxyclean solution then squeegee them off with paper towel. It seems to remove everything you need removed. Of course, this is easiest if you remove the cord from the phone, but I have done then "in situ" by placing the container in a sink, and draping the cord from the phone, over the edge of the sink, then into the oxyclean...

Always worked well for me...

Dave

I should give that a try that sounds effective and easy!
Ben

Jim Stettler

Mike Sandman sandman.com sells a cord cleaner and other phone cleaners. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.
Jim

The link to the telephone cleaners page :
http://www.sandman.com/cleankit.html

There is a lot of interesting info and homebrew parts on the sandman site. It is worth surfing.

As a side note:
I met Mike Sandman at the 2nd Lyon's Nebraska show.  He doesn't typically go to shows, but he wanted to see the underground site. We had a good time talking telephone.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Russ Kirk

This message thread reminds me when I was an installer many years ago. So please allow me to tell a short anecdote.

I remember Western Electric specifically made a telephone cord cleaner.  I believe it was in short/fat can with a black and white label. Maybe someone here has a old photo of one.

The cleaner did not work very well so it was not used on sets that much.  But the installers did find a good use of the cleaner;  it made and excellent ant/bug spray and left a pleasant odor.  I used it to kill ants when they invaded b-boxes. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rdelius

There was a cord cleaner made by Magnolia Chem Co. There was also a waxy spray on polish called Glaze-It.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Russ Kirk on August 22, 2013, 01:33:27 PM
This message thread reminds me when I was an installer many years ago. So please allow me to tell a short anecdote.

I remember Western Electric specifically made a telephone cord cleaner.  I believe it was in short/fat can with a black and white label. Maybe someone here has a old photo of one.

The cleaner did not work very well so it was not used on sets that much.  But the installers did find a good use of the cleaner;  it made and excellent ant/bug spray and left a pleasant odor.  I used it to kill ants when they invaded b-boxes.  

Haha, it would be interesting to see that!
Ben

AE40FAN

I remove the cords completely from the phone and wipe them down with a towel soaked in denatured alchohol.  Works like a charm every time.