"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 302 Troubleshoot

Started by RCMcDonald, October 28, 2011, 02:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMcDonald

Greetings all -

I just picked up an unmolested Northern Electric 302 in quite good condition, originally from an estate sale.  When it arrived, it still had the hardwired cord with the spade connectors and a yellowing advertisement with 5 digit numbers for police and hospital.  It looks as if it's never been opened by anyone other than Bell Canada.   It looks good, and the dial seems to function well.  Alas, it's not all fun, as I'm struggling to get it to work.

I wired it up to my VoIP setup (which works very well with my many other old phones).  I did get a dialtone, but found that while the dial works well, the call does not complete and I get silence after I dial the first number.  Pressing the hook switch does not bring the dial tone back.  I can receive a call, but it does not ring at all.  It did come back with a dial tone at one point, and I heard some loud clicking as I was screwing the case back together, but I can't find any loose connections that would be responsible.  Before I start tearing things apart and testing things, I thought I'd ask the forum if this kind of behavior is indicative of any component in particular.  I'm thinking it may be a condenser, but not sure if this behavior is consistent with a bad condenser.  I've posted a couple of pics below.  Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Bob McDonald

Kenny C

Make sure the wiring is as follows.

Handset:

Black- BK on dial
White- W on Dial
Red- R on induction coil

Mounting Cord:

Red- L2 on IND coil
Green- L1

Switch:

Yellow- Y on IND coil
Green- GN on IND coil
Brown/Yellow- Y on dial
Brown/Blue- BB on dial

Ringer:

Black- K
Red- L1 on IND coil

Condenser:

Slate- K
Yellow- Y on IND coil
Red- C on IND coil
Black- BK on dial

Slate Red Jumper wire- L1 to R on dial
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

RCMcDonald

Thanks very much for your post, Kenny (and apologies for the time taken to respond - it's been a busy week).

I did check the wiring as you suggest, and all is correct, though interestingly, the red ringer wire was connected to GND, along with the yellow handset cord wire.  I did connect it to L1 as you suggest.  Unfortunately, I still am unable to get it to ring, and though I do get dial tone, it still doesn't dial out properly. 

It seems to me that the dialing out issue ism probably something to do with the dial, but I'm stumped by the lack of a ringer.  Could this be an issue with the condenser?

Any thoughts on how to troubleshot this further would be welcome.

Regards,

Bob McDonald

Kenny C

Bob,
No worries. I know what you mean by being busy.

It could be an issue with the condenser. But I'll let the big guys take over from here on how to troubleshoot it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

RCMcDonald

Thanks for the quick response, Kenny.  I switched the red and green line wires (Red- L1, Green - L2), as I found suggested elsewhere on the forum, and now I get a ring.  So my only issue now is that it won't dial out properly.  It is strange, as there seems to be some sort of a latch effect going on. After I dial once, I don't get any more dial tone, even after depressing the switch hook, and also no sidetone on the receiver.  If I'm not mistaken, there is a switch on the dial that cuts out the receiver during dialing, is there not.  Could this switch sticking cause this problem?  Can anybody describe how this works?