News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 10:07:51 AM
You don't need the slate hook switch wire connected at all. Just tape and store. The 3554 diagram is only to show how it was originally wired with a 2-wire ringer.

The 500 diagram is only to show how to connect the ringer circuit, which is separate from the talk circuit. (Of course, you have to move the black ringer wire to L1 rather than G, just as we always do with old hardwired 500s.)

I was assuming that you had the slate-yellow and red  4-wire ringer wire on L2. In that case, connecting the slate wire on L2 means that since there is continuity between the slate-yellow and slate when the phone is on-hook, then this would have no effect if both the slate-yellow and slate are on the same screw terminal. When off-hook, slate-yellow connects to slate-brown to complete the talk circuit.

Since you only swapped the ringer, I wonder why the phone isn't working correctly. What is the part number on the dial? I'll post the complete 3554 diagram, but, again, you won't connect the slate hook switch wire if you are using a 4-wire ringer (although, as stated above, it shouldn't have caused any trouble on L2 if  slate-yellow hook switch is on L2.)

Maybe you will have to start over with the 2-wire ringer, just to get it working.
Thanks Ron. I could do that but it would be easier and less time consuming if someone already knows which goes where  ;D
Quote from: HarrySmith on Today at 07:28:23 AMI was wrong about the handset wire colors. They are the same as a line cord. Green, Red, Yellow and Black. I have not seen a handset with these color wires before. Is this normal? How would I hook it up? I will have to see if the volume is better once I get this wired in.
Thanks.

Harry, I've been colorblind all my life (of course) and I've never used colors to wire up a phone.
Look at one that you have already done and compare, which terminal on the induction coil goes to which terminal
on the handset. This is how I wire every phone, of course now I do it by memory (what little I have left).  ;)
I was wrong about the handset wire colors. They are the same as a line cord. Green, Red, Yellow and Black. I have not seen a handset with these color wires before. Is this normal? How would I hook it up? I will have to see if the volume is better once I get this wired in.
Thanks.
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 07:21:43 AM
Last night I worked on this a bit. First, I hooked it up to my Panasonic without doing anything and it worked fine. Dial tone, rings & dials out. He said it did nothing at his house but made his other phones not work. He has a 500 I gave him years ago that has always worked fine. I moved the hook switch slate wire from A to L2 and now I get a fast busy signal. I will have to compare the wiring diagram you posted to the phone tonight and see if it matches.
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by countryman - Today at 04:31:28 AM
Interesting to see this dial with French lettering and the (apparently original) LMT card on a French type 24 phone!
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 02:16:45 AM
3554 with 2-wire ringer on the right.
3554 with 4-wire ringer has the ringer connected the same as in the NE 500/554 on the left, except that the black ringer wire should go to L1 rather than G.

If you leave the slate wire on A, with the 4-conductor ringer connected as in a 500, then when the phone is on-hook, L1 is connected to A through the hook switch contacts "a" and "b. "Thus, the 2650 ringer coil would be shorted whenever the phone is on-hook.
Last post by HarrySmith - Yesterday at 04:39:45 PM
I just got it back. Unfortunately I gave it to him before I saw your message about moving the hook switch wire. I am going to do that tonight. Thanks!
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by Etienne - Yesterday at 04:29:15 PM
Found this phone for sale (not mine) with a closeup of the dial card.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/2520392510.htm

Interesting dial maker's card, LMT was one of the 2 french ITT subsidiaries (the other one being Thomson-Houston).
Last post by poplar1 - Yesterday at 03:21:33 PM
Harry, did you get the phone to ring without ring trip?