"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Type 32A48 - 6 Station Selective Signaling Intercom System

Started by stub, October 31, 2011, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi,
Does anyone know or have info on this AE interphone ? Is this just a plain old intercom ?  Patent # comes back as a 1-A desk set.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Ken:

Isn't it just an AE 4 or rather a 14 (or is it 17)? The buttons would have been drilled into the case in the fild I would guess. I saw it on ebaY and couldn't convince the seller to pull the black electrical tape off of the front of it t osee what was underneath but I was pretty sure it was those round door bell buttons.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Here's what I got. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

DC Edwards Buzzer and I think the push buttons are Edwards as well. I don't know for sure but I am pretty certain that this would have been put together from parts either in the field or maybe by an aftermarket intercom systems company. They did a good job of centering the buttons and not breaking the bakelite.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Any idea how to hook it up?
        This  transmitter and receiver is just like the 3 wire induction coil receiver on the 32A14 handset.
        Wonder why they used the same handset, receiver, and transmitter as the  32A14?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

That looks like a real one, not someone's field mods. 

I'll bet it goes along with that other odd AE Idealfone you have there.  This one looks like it could be the "master station" and the Idealfone would be one of the "substations."

The transmitter looks European, and that transmitter cover has been seen on Belgian AE (ATEA) phones, so I'm going to guess the transmitter is Belgian as well. 

The fact that the patent number on the Monophone switch cover doesn't match up, is innocent enough: that cover plate was probably a standard AE part that was also used for these and a few other types of sets. 

Interesting find.

stub

Terry- Thanks

GG- Thanks      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on November 01, 2011, 03:57:19 AM

That looks like a real one, not someone's field mods.  

Well, somewhat real. An AE 4 is a proper phone available with or without dial like Stub's Avatar. Then there is an AE 17 I think that is similar looking but with the induction coil handset for use on local systems. That would be either PBX locals or Intercoms. However, they don't have all the push buttons installed in them like this one does and I wouldn't think they would come with a DC buzzer or a ringer.

I would bet that a company that installed Intercoms bought this phone and installed the push buttons and buzzer in this phone at their office/shop. It is neatly done but I don't think that part was done by AE.

Stub: Are the wires to the buttons screwed on or soldered on? Are there spade lugs on all wires that terminate on screw terminals?

Terry

stub

Terry,
         The wires are just stripped ,no spade , screwed on.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on November 01, 2011, 08:03:41 PM
Terry,
         The wires are just stripped ,no spade , screwed on.  stub

That makes it seem to me like this part of the phone is modifications rather than the way it came from AE.

Terry

stub

Terry,
       It was a very nice job !!! The 14 and 14A can be had with a 500ohm AC buzzer also.
      My avatar is a AE 14 A. It has the induction coil receiver + the 205 ohm wire wound resistor in it. It has the regular #38 handset. The insides are the same as the 32A14 handset.  Thanks.   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Ten points for Terry re. asking about the wire terminations to the buttons!  I wouldn't have thought of asking about that.

Stub, I'd say that's worth keeping as-is, and you have a substation to go with it, so you have both ends of an intercom circuit.  You could build four more by non-destructively modding some other sets that already have pressbuttons of one kind or another. 

Those types of pressbuttons or something that looks a heck of a lot like them, are still available as doorbell buttons in case any of them don't work and need to be replaced.

stub

Well I finally found out about this one - Phone ( AM-65 ) is one part of a 6 station intercom system by Automatic Electric. It is listed as Type 32A48 Intercom System.  Pic is from AE Catalog 4033, 7- 1939 , pg 7.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jfrutschy

My AE hero.  I like it Stub.