News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Loeffler Interphone (was"Anyone know what this is?")

Started by Sargeguy, March 18, 2013, 04:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A friend of mine has an old Interphone that needs IDing.  This is the only picture sent so far:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

So far opinions are split between Couch or DeVeau, but I cannot find an exact match to either.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

I assume you have asked your friend if there is a manufacturer's name molded or stamped on the thing, or painted on the bottom plate. You might also ask if there is a patent number anywhere. That would turn it up quickly.

Bill

Sargeguy

Yes, I think that would solve the mystery but I am not getting any solid answers. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phones are Loeffler's.  They are mostly composed of parts from other manufacturers.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

More pics:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I know where to bring it for service:

http://www.14to42.net/21street6.html

The phones cane from the mansion owned by John Nicholas Brown in Newport, RI.  Brown was a wealthy industrialist from the family who endowed Brown University.  He was Assistant Secratary of the Navy and a noted philanthropist.   He updated his phone system in the early 1960s, and an electrician who worked on the job picked them out of the scrap pile and turned them into lamps.  

Here is a list of extensions:

Mrs. Brown
Morning RM
Mr. Brown
Office
Pantry
Kitch
2nd Hall
3rd Hall
studio
Play House
Garage
Stable
Gardener

The last two buttons are blank.

The other phone has :

Mrs. Brown
Morning RM
Mr. Brown
Pantry
Kitch
Phone Booth
2nd Hall
3rd Hall
studio
Play House
Garage
Stable
Gardener

The last two buttons are blank.

]Since we have two of thwe  original 14 extensions, we can  determine which extension each phone was  associated with:  the first one is from the "Phone Booth" and the second is from the "Office".  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here are some pics of the other phone.  The final price, $366,  was a little higher than I want to pay, so I will have to pass on it.  I will be selling it for him, however.  My commission is the two Western Electric 143 receivers that came with the phones.  Here are some pics of Loeffler #2
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

This one is slightly less damaged than the previous one.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The back and bottom
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409