"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Designer of the AE 40

Started by HobieSport, April 29, 2009, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
I'm sure the price will go up at the end, but I'm a bit surprised that it's only drawn out one bidder so far.
My semi-educated guess is this amazing AE 34 will go for $500 + at the last minute.
Quote from: BDM
I've never noticed a 34 has no rear handle so as to allow movement of the phone. Maybe that's why we rarely see them? Most folks dropped them while attempting to move it.
I've always found that odd, too.  The only way to move it is to get the fingers of both hands underneath it and pick it up.
I hadn't noticed that.  Another interesting difference between the 34 and 40.
Quote from: Tonyrotary
I can't believe how shiny and new looking it is.
Me too, Tony.  The bakelite has a glow and "depth" that I've never seen before.  I think the seller's technique of using carnauba and beeswax on bakelite is something worthy of some serious experimentation and I intend to try it someday.

AET

I've always found that beeswax gave my hair a good shine as well!
- Tom

HobieSport

Just to compare, here are the innards of an AE 34, a 40 and a 50.

HobieSport

Hmmm.  The super sweet AE 34 on Ebay ended at only $81. with only two bids, RNM.  I'm really quite stumped as to why.  I just watched several unrefurbished chrome banded AE 40s and regular black unrefurbished AE 50s all go for around $70-80., with so-so photos and minimal descriptions.  Whereas the 34 had very good photos,  and a very full and informative description.

Go figure. ??? ::)

http://tinyurl.com/d4fxg7

BDM

Hobie, that link didn't come up right. I'm floored that a 34 only went for $81!! Someone was sleeping at the wheel. But, that's an example that a deal can still be had.

EDIT: You fixed the link, never mind. Reserve wasn't met. So no one got a deal :-\
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Yep Brian it was Reserve Not Met (I wrote "RNM"...darn those acronyms... :P) at $81., so I'm watching for a re-list just out of curiosity.

I have no idea of a reasonable value for the phone, but the seller seems to have really put his heart and soul into it and I hope he gets a good price.

bingster

Didn't one go a few months ago for something like 30 or 40 bucks?  I remember watching it, and I thought we had talked about it here.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Didn't one go a few months ago for something like 30 or 40 bucks?  I remember watching it, and I thought we had talked about it here.

I can't find mention of it here in a search but maybe I missed it.  Also I haven't been watching for AE 34s on Ebay but am now because I'm intrigued.

BTW I wrote the gentleman selling it, mostly just to say how much I admired the phone (but that it's out of my league) and also to ask about his wax polish methods.  Here is his kind reply:

"Dear Matt,
A 34A3 closed at $550.00 a few weeks ago - It didn't reach its reserve.  My reserve is only $399.00 and I don't understand the problem.  Maybe it's the on/off switch for the ringer.  I would think that would be a plus.  I got a bar of pure Carnauba wax from Woodcrafters.  Carnauba is the hardest natural wax available.  Wood workers use it to finish wood turnings while they still are on their lathe.  You can use it on wood and Bakelite - the wheel has to heat the wax up so it will deposit it on the piece.  You must then buff off the ridges and the build-up to spread it evenly over the surface with a floppy buffer, then finish it off by hand with paste polish.  I use a brand "Trewax" that has Carnauba and beeswax (and other things, I am sure).  I get it at Ace Hardware and have used it on everything I do for years.  Don't try to use the wax bar and buffing wheel on paint, hard rubber or plastic - They will melt and be ruined.  I hope it helps you with your projects.  Dave Justice"

McHeath

Nice reply. 

Is that on/off switch original?  It looks odd and out of place. 

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Is that on/off switch original?  It looks odd and out of place. 

Not original thus Dave is wondering if it's affecting the bids.

JorgeAmely

from your national Fleabay market.

PS: Don't forget to put your tongue back in your mouth after you see it!

Jorge
Jorge

HobieSport

Quote from: JorgeAmely
from your national Fleabay market.
PS: Don't forget to put your tongue back in your mouth after you see it!

:o :P 8)

mienaichizu

I just recently got my AE40, finally after 2 years of collecting telephones, I will post up some pics soon

HobieSport

Congratulations on finally getting an AE 40, Ramil!  I like the unique "faceted" body design. May we call them "art deco"?

Did you find one locally or did you have to pay a lot for shipping?  I look forward to seeing the pictures.

benhutcherson

I always have had a soft spot for the AE40, as that was my first collectible telephone. Mine came to me with an AE34 chrome-band "Spitcup" on the transmitter end of the type 41 handset, which incidentally fits perfectly.

Back when I first started collecting telephones, a local antique shop had a non-dial AE34 priced at what I thought was an outrageous price-about $140 or so as I recall. Looking back, that probably wasn't such a horrible price after all, and I wish that I'd had the foresight and ability to buy it.