News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay Hacked!

Started by Greg G., May 22, 2014, 09:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Saw this in the paper this morning.  To be on the safe side, I changed my user name also, along with Paypal and other banking info.  Something that should be done every 90 days anyway.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2023662748_apxebaycyberattack.html
( dead link 03-12-22 )
---------------------

EDIT:  Since links can go dead after sometime, the attached pdf file is what the Seattle Times said about this issue
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Nick in Manitou

Briny,

Thanks for the heads-up!  Changed mine too.

Nick

DavePEI

Better to give the information from eBay itself:

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/05/22/7609/

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I never got notified by ebay about this hack, but I've changed my password anyway, haven't done so for about 5 years so thought I best do so anyway... :)

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 22, 2014, 10:59:32 PM
I never got notified by ebay about this hack, but I've changed my password anyway, haven't done so for about 5 years so thought I best do so anyway... :)

I never got notified directly either, not even in My Ebay Messages.  I just happened to read it in the paper over breakfast this morning.  Only place online they posted anything is way down in the Announcements section of the online message area, and even then, there's no indicator that there's anything new in there unless you check it, which I never do.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

I just noticed the "Announcement", they didn't really make it a very important announcement, I'd have had it plastered in a banner at the top of every page for 14 days after the actual announcement, it's as if they didn't want people to know they screwed up... ::)

Doug Rose

I got this announcemnt on the top of My eBay. Tough to miss, I thought eBay was right upfront with it...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

They started out pretty low key and took some serious flack for it in the media.  When I saw the news break, I went in and changed my password right away.  When I did, ebay had nothing on their web site that even remotely stood out.  Looks like they've rectified that now.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Funny that, now I see warnings about changing the password.... ???

Ebay are definitely as sharp as a stick of butter... ;D

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 23, 2014, 09:05:05 PM
Funny that, now I see warnings about changing the password.... ???

Ebay are definitely as sharp as a stick of butter... ;D

Yeah, I see it now too, wasn't there before.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

And as if by magic (or exceedingly heavy media-pressure), I just got an email about it too...  ???

Nicely timed by ebay there... ::)

zaphod01

Scary stuff! I rushed over and changed my PayPal password first. Then I went back and changed both eBay accounts. I use one for selling cameras and other collectibles and the other is strictly for phones.

Sounds like a true inside job (most are to some extent). I'm a database administrator for a very large company. It gives me night sweats when I read about these breaches.

In the industry, we say there are two kinds of companies; the ones that have been hacked and the ones that don't know they have been hacked.   :(
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Mr. Bones

QuoteIn the industry, we say there are two kinds of companies; the ones that have been hacked and the ones that don't know they have been hacked.   :(
True dat. :o

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Adam

Quote from: Brinybay on May 22, 2014, 09:47:11 AM
I changed my user name also, along with Paypal and other banking info.

Can't hurt, but PayPal info has never been implicated anywhere as being involved in this hack.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820