News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Member From Georgia

Started by 19and41, December 27, 2014, 04:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Hello Everyone, I had heard about your site from Bill Cahill and thought I would finally join.  I have a 40 year background in electronic work, mostly mobile and two way radio communications. Most of my collecting before recently has been military field telephone equipment as my first experience in communications was with the Army.  I have also had vintage training in frequency division telephone multiplex and microwave station equipment.  My domestic telephone equipment now consists of a WE square button trimline I bought in the 84 breakup,  and I hope to soon take delivery of a AE 40 that I want to restore and use with a rotatone device to use with my OOMA VOIP unit.  I hope to learn and share with you and have enjoyed reading some of the many posts and pictures.  This forum looks to be a valuable resource.   
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Kenton K

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Ken

jsowers

Welcome to the Forum! From your avatar it looks like you're near Atlanta. US 19 ends in the NC mountains. NC is where I'm from, but in the Piedmont Triad south of Winston-Salem, near US 52 and US 64, which go different directions.

The AE40 is a very nice phone with a pleasant ring. We had one on a 4-party line when I was growing up, until about 1975. The frequency ringer was not nearly as pleasant, more like a thrum. Ours had no chrome trim, but many in the surrounding community with private lines did.

Also I remember well picking out an ivory modular Trimline the same age as yours in both wall and desk models for my landlady in Chapel Hill when the Southern Bell installer arrived to replace her AE phones in 1982. She liked the lighted dials but not the weak ring. About half the sound of the hefty external AE brass bell ringer she had on her SpaceMaker.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on December 27, 2014, 07:44:53 PM
Welcome to the Forum! From your avatar it looks like you're near Atlanta. US 19 ends in the NC mountains.

Welcome to the forum. You're just down the street from me, well a bit more than down the street. I remember back before the "I" system was built, US Highway 41 ran from the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan through Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, and continuing south right past Ft. Campbell KY, through Atlanta and all the way down to Miami. Most of it is still there. One could drive the whole length of "41" from top to bottom and always be on Highway 41. Don't know why but they decided to write a song about Route 66 . . . , more "interesting" stops, I guess, on the east/west southern route, even if it doesn't run coast to coast.

Anyway, seems US 41, US 19 and Georgia 3 are only together for a short length on the north west side of Atlanta, near the famous 14th Street Antiques Market. Any connection to that, your interest in phones and your avatar?

dsk

19and41

Thanks for the welcome, all!  I just use the 19 and 41 I.D. because it runs nearby where I live.  That avatar is about 4 miles north of Griffin and close to one of my favorite BBQ places. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

WesternElectricBen

Mr. Bones

Quote from: 19and41 on December 29, 2014, 08:15:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome, all!  I just use the 19 and 41 I.D. because it runs nearby where I live.  That avatar is about 4 miles north of Griffin and close to one of my favorite BBQ places.
Welcome, glad to have you aboard!

Please, give up the info on which BBQ place, as well! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke