and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you make your morning coffee? -- POLL

Started by savageje, June 09, 2015, 05:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you make your morning coffee?

Electric Drip Coffee Maker
10 (28.6%)
Single Cup Coffee Maker (Keurig or Similar)
10 (28.6%)
Percolator
5 (14.3%)
French Press
2 (5.7%)
Other
8 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 30, 2015, 07:32:36 PM

savageje

After several years of drinking my morning coffee out the Keurig, I experienced a wave of nostalgia and bought a stovetop percolator about a week ago.  I know that coffee aficionados don't think that a percolator makes the best coffee, but it sure seems to taste better to me than the stuff that comes out of the Keurig.  Best of all, it is low tech and doesn't require any electricity.  (Full disclosure -- I am using an electric grinder to grind my beans.)   Just curious how my fellow phonies like to brew their favorite cup o' joe.

NorthernElectric

I find it tough to start the day without my coffee.

I mostly use an electric drip maker that uses mellita cone filters.  I have a stovetop percolator as a backup and for power blackouts and recently had to use it for a couple of weeks after my coffee machine died.  They both make great coffee, but there's a little something extra to the flavor of the percolated coffee that I can't put my finger on.  I might have stayed using the perc if it wasn't for the plastic bulb which has gone cloudy making it difficult to see when it starts bubbling so I can turn the heat down.  I'm on the lookout for vintage glass percolator bulbs that I can adapt to the lid.

I doubt I will ever buy a Keurig machine.  With an electric drip maker you can make just one cup if that's all you want and in about half the time that the Keurig takes.  You also get to make it just the way you want it because you measure the coffee yourself.  If you want to do that in a Keurig you have to buy extra gear.  I have tried coffee made in other people's Keurigs and have yet to experience a cup anywhere near as good as what I make for myself, but maybe that's because I like it a bit on the strong side.  K-cups are more expensive, too.  Not to mention the huge waste issue that's developing from the K-cups.
Cliff

I'm a tea drinker. 4 cup pot of tea in the morning with a teaspoon of honey in the cup. That's how I do it.

TelePlay

At home on weekends, I have to like what my wife likes and that would be Folgers Classic Roast Medium, which is quite good in an electric drip coffee maker. On the road weekdays I really like the stuff I can get from a regional convenience store/gas station, 20 oz cup for a buck, and they call it their House Blend so don't have a clue what they are putting in their commercial electric drip coffee makers, but it is fresh hourly.

JimH

I bought a 1952 Universal "Coffeematic" on ebay a few years ago (with the original box), and it makes great coffee.  Universal was later bought out by GE small appliances.
Jim H.

podor

I got a Keurig free with my Discover cash back bonus about 3 years ago, just to try it. I'm the only coffee drinker, so I thought it would be a bit more efficient. I like it. It took a while to find a good (and economical) dark coffee that I like. I prefer my drip style, but this thing is so convenient. My wife uses the hot water for her tea now, so we both get some use out of it.

paul-f

We also grind the beans just before brewing and use a simple Melitta gravity (non-electric)   drip system - No 6 filters.  The glass pot that came with the plastic cone lets the coffee cool too quickly, so we drip right into a vacuum bottle carafe that holds about four cups.

We heat water on the stove the old fashioned way, in a kettle.

We typically buy organic or fair trade coffee and often mix two or more varieties.  There's currently a good Brazilian coffee available in the local supermarket.  We alternate using it straight and mixing it with either Kona or Guatemalan.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

electric al

Never met a phone I didn't like !

DNO

Tea drinker here.  My wife's a coffee drinker, though. We have a Keurig that we've used for the last 5 years but we've never used K cups.  We have an adapter that allows us to use our own coffee in a little gold filter cup.
David

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Fabius on June 10, 2015, 06:57:09 PM
I use the McDonald's drive through.

Excellent choice!  McDonalds is my favourite place to grab a cup of coffeee while out and about.  Their coffee used to be horrible but at some point they smartened up and now have the best regularly priced cup of coffee of any of the big chains; yes, much better than Timmy's IMO and way more efficient at moving people through fast.  Big thumbs up to McCafe!  And while I'm there, provided it's before 11, it's the only place I can get an Egg McMuffin to go with my coffee.   :D
Cliff

TelePlay

I've heard that Dunkin' Donuts makes the best commercially available coffee. I've never tried it. They are not as easy to find as McDonald's but said to be the best. Is what I heard true?

twocvbloke

Not a coffee guy myself, last time I had one was last year at Durham City's railway station (via the Costa Coffee outlet in the waiting room) waiting for my sister to arrive, but that was only cos I was half asleep after being awake for 16 hours... ;D

Mr. Bones

I use daily my Mother's (2nd) 10-cup Corningware percolator, an E-1210, from the mid-60-s. It has the rectangular 'ready' indicator light lens, vs the earlier 'round one (P-80) we had when I was born.

I can't begin to guesstimate the number of cups of coffee this pot has made in that time :o 8) ::)

I have a mint P-80, like we had until the mid-60's, in the lower cabinets as a backup.

I have a '40's / 50's blue porcelain percolator as a backup-backup...

Both make a smooth, delightful cup of coffee in the same time my mr coffee can, but taste way better... same coffee, same pitcher water, just less 'scalded' tasting, for lack of a better description.

I most regularly use Kroger Supreme blend, 5 level T and the last (6th) one heaping, to a full / slightly plus full charge of water from my Brita filter pitcher. Much smoother than my beloved folgers, maxwell house, etc., although I do mix, blend, and match coffees, including columbian, for desired effect / flavor, especially if I am entertaining breakfast guests.

On the weekends, it can often be supplemented by a measure ;) or so of Jameson's, Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek bourbon, perhaps optionally with a measure of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Morning is what you make of it.... ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

I personally don't drink coffee, but my mom does. She uses a Kureig machine, and it does the job well. It's a lot easier than taking all of the steps it used to take with the old coffee machine.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford