News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Advice..Pulse to Tone Converter..Old phones no longer work on Comcast...

Started by John S, January 08, 2014, 12:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some kind of Pulse to Tone Converter.  Any brands?  Any types? About 2 weeks ago, Comcast did a upgrade and now none of my rotary phones will break dial. I called them over and over. At first no one know what I was talking about.   Finally I contacted Executive Care and they sent a tech over.   He replaced the modem to no avail.  So now I need a converter of some type.  I was wondering if there is a whole house type, like a whole house DSL filter?  Any help would be really appreciated.  Thanks...

John

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

John S

WEBellSystemChristian,

Thanks for the info. I think they are down for a while.  There is a message on there website.

"Important announcement: 28th August 2013, Dialgizmo sales are on old for the next few weeks. We will return to sales soon."

John

poplar1

For about the same price, or even less, you can purchase a Panasonic hybrid key system such as the KX-T61610. It will translate rotary dial pulses to Touch-Tone. In addition, you can use it like a PBX with up to 16 extensions and 6 outside lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

This article are quite informative:  http://tinyurl.com/qz6tcbe
DialGizmo works well, but I do not know if it is available. A used and are available in US and UK  versions. (Ebay)
And of course A Panasonic kxt 308 or 816 are really the right one for a collector ;D

dsk

twocvbloke

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

ldj1002

I use XLINK. I works from your cell phone with bluetooth. There was discussion about it a few months back.

Matilo Telephones

As we are on this subject, I have some additional questions and problems and information.

I sell about 50 telephones a year here. About half the connections here do not support pulse dialing. Until now I sold a lot of dialgizmo´s. They are great, if the work.

Untill this year. I had a lot of quality issues with them. To put it simple: more than half of them were duds.

Now dialgizmo.com is closed since august. Sent a couple of mails, no reply. Do not think they will ever resume trading.

Now I looking for an other convertor. I bought one from OPW years ago, but I haven´t gotten it to work yet. Tried several things and contacted them a while ago to try to resolve this.

Now I use internal convertors. They are made by Frits Kieftenbelt here in HOlland and they work great. See here. Maybe I´ll start a separate topic on thant. Here is the link to Frits´ site: http://www.picbasic.nl/dtmf-telefoon.htm (in Dutch I´m afraid).

It takes me a while to install them and there are some problems that can arise. Polarity is an issue, and resistance of the telephone.

Not as ideal as a dialgizmo. And you need one for every separata telephone. With a dialgizmo you need only one per telephone line.

I had a tip on this forum to this site:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=down_for_maintenance&zenid=34c8030ae64bdde36528ecaf7dac2a0d

But it has been down for maintainance for weeks. I think it is because they sold dialgizmo´s instead of their own. Not sure.

I know of a German made convertor. But is has TAE-connectors instead of rj connectors. Haven´t tried it yet. I´m saving up to do so. I´ll need adapters from TAE to RJ or convert the convertor myself.

So any tips and hints are welcome. I will however try to hunt down a Panasonic 616 for myself, but that is not a solution for my customers. I´ll stick with the internal picbasic for now.

How are your experiences with the internal rotatone?

Any other sources not mentioned yet for a convertor that is still available?

Anyone in need of several convertors? Maybe we can campaign with that German producer to make a RJ version of his convertor?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

John S

Thank you everyone for your input-insight.  I have a lot of reading to do.  This is a bummer, phones were working great, then one day-nothing..........

John

phone-sweep

Count me as another looking for a Dialgizmo replacement.... Dialgizmo seems to be out of business....

Just had a changeover on my land line because AT&T was pushing the new fiber optic format.  My AT&T DSL service is now U-verse digital....  No more rotary service so I need some way to be able to dial out on rotary phones.

I sell rotary phones on Ebay so not only do I need it, I need it for my customers.  Something simple to hook up - like the Dialgizmo was...   More frequently customers are contacting me saying the rotary phone won't dial out not realizing they have digital lines.  I use to suggest the Dialgizmo - not sure what to do now.

The installer did away with my separate DSL box for the land line.  Today, when I discovered that the rotary phones wouldn't work, he said that it was possible to have things rewired for separate POTS and U-verse but I'll have to wait a few days for this latest change/paperwork to clear the "system".  Might be a service fee to make this change (today was free)...

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for a Dialgizmo replacement?

Should I have my house rewired for separate POTS and U-verse?  If necessary, I could get by with leaving the house wiring as is and using a Dialgizmo-like device to work on and test rotary phones....

TIA

twocvbloke

phone-sweep

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 28, 2014, 03:25:44 PM
Quote from: phone-sweep on January 28, 2014, 02:43:45 PMAnyway, does anyone have a suggestion for a Dialgizmo replacement?

Panasonic KX-T308 or 616... :)

Oy, $81 for the Panasonic KX-T308.  More for the 616....  Was looking for something a little more economical.....

The Alldav device mentioned in a TCI article looks intriguing at $20 shipped but the website www.alldav.com is being worked on.  Does anyone know if they are still doing business?

twocvbloke

Quote from: phone-sweep on January 28, 2014, 04:05:36 PMOy, $81 for the Panasonic KX-T308.  More for the 616....  Was looking for something a little more economical.....

Well, those prices are from sellers who are asking far too much for them, if you catch them being auctioned, you can get one for a bargain price, I paid £10 (plus £12 postage) for my 616, and most of the people here have bought them for very little, it just takes a little time before you find one at the right price... :)

phone-sweep

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 28, 2014, 04:15:56 PM
Quote from: phone-sweep on January 28, 2014, 04:05:36 PMOy, $81 for the Panasonic KX-T308.  More for the 616....  Was looking for something a little more economical.....

Well, those prices are from sellers who are asking far too much for them, if you catch them being auctioned, you can get one for a bargain price, I paid £10 (plus £12 postage) for my 616, and most of the people here have bought them for very little, it just takes a little time before you find one at the right price... :)

Ya, I just made a quick check on Ebay before I replied..... saw some pretty astronomical prices....  I'll keep an eye out for a better price in the future....

I like the compact size, simplicity and no-brainer installation of the Dialgizmo.....Can't believe someone hasn't cashed in on this need or why the other guys have ceased doing business.  Many people, and not just collectors, still like the old rotary phones.  China/Hong Kong, whomever - seems like somebody would've had something out by now.  I'm no electronics expert but they can't be all that complicated to make or mass produce....