News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Respect

Started by Doug Rose, November 28, 2018, 08:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

We have all heard the word. We all have disagreements, let's just be civil.  The old adage treat others as you want to be treated. Not that hard.

99% of the Forum members agree with this.  There are a certain few, minus one now thankfully gone; who think they know better. 

I think the first time a Forum member disrespects a moderator or another member, they are no longer a Forum Member. 

Disagreements are normal. We are not always right.

It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Aman

Pourme

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 28, 2018, 08:28:32 AM

I think the first time a Forum member disrespects a moderator or another member, they are no longer a Forum Member. 

It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun...Doug

I agree, the issue here is disrespect.  With the continuing disrespect and contempt partyline4 has displayed and continues to show to John and the forum members in general, he should be shown the door. Being reduced to a guest isn't enough.

He has proven that to him it isn't a hobby, it's a profit making enterprise. He takes the 'fun' out of our hobby with his disrespectful attitude.

Just a opinion from one of the forum's resident "older guys".
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on November 28, 2018, 08:51:21 AM
I agree, the issue here is disrespect.  With the continuing disrespect and contempt partyline4 has displayed and continues to show to John and the forum members in general, he should be shown the door. Being reduced to a guest isn't enough.

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

There are two options when cancelling a membership: 1) to completely delete the account which means anything posted by the member is deleted by the forum software; and 2) to leave the member as a guest which does not delete any of that former member's posts on the forum.

Keeping the posts, some of which may have had some good information or may have been referenced in a topic string, will forever be there for all to see. They also speak to why he was removed from the forum and that includes posts that seem to have been deleted at the time but were in fact split off of a topic and moved to our back room offensive post reference library - and those are proof we would not want to lose for possible future use.

Key2871

Well I have to say I agree with you. I read the list of stuff pantyline4 had posted, that John put up in a different post.
I'm not usually one for this type of thing, but ever so clearly has this person made his remarks extreme, shall I say.
If those posts are his passion, it's got nothing to do with old phones. It's too bad that someone got on here with the pretense of loving old phones, and turned it into a hate session, for others here.
KEN

Dan/Panther

As a forum we have been around for 10 years. I would say for the first 8 years we hardly if ever had a nasty post. It is a phenomenon of forums that as they grow heads will butt. Disputes over opinions or preferences are to be expected. I have been members of forums that I have, left because over time it seems cliches develop. I really hate to see this develop on CRPF. I agree we need to tighten up a bit, I would suggest,Warning for 1st offense,  1 week ban for 2nd offense, third offense remove from forum. First offense discipline may be harsh, as we all have bad days. But we try not to make them the norm.

D/P   

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dsk

This is not easy, and my first idea was: Yes, you are so right! But this is as sensitive as discussing politics. I realize that a small warning would be correct, if it does not help, you are not allowed to post anything for a period, the ad is definitely not allowed to delete your posts. If it is possible you should be allowed to PM, (and ask for forgiveness. )  If this do not work out, you are blocked.

Some of those who already are blocked had extremely good technical knowledge, but had to much of a temper. I guess it was right to block them, but I also miss their knowledge.

Not easy at all!

dsk

Key2871

I again, agree. This is a touchy subject, however taking anger out with a keyboard is not the way to handle such things as I'm mad because someone sold a phone for thousands more than what he paid. If in fact that is true, the seller was a good business person made a great deal.
But for anyone to lash out in anger about that is very immature. I mean we're all adults here, take some things with a grain of salt if needed. Don't take your jealousy out on anyone.

Second, again good point, first warning may seem harsh but at the same time you have to let them know this is serious, that this forum will not tolerate this type of thing, in any way.
Yes we all have bad days, but kindly keep it to yourself.
If someone should take offence at a post pm that person and say you feel offended. If it continues, well strike two.
I'm still shocked by the post's of partyline4 he would have been better off keeping it to themselves.
KEN

Butch Harlow

As forum members, we are all different individuals with different backgrounds and opinions. We have the luxury of only having to be responsible for ourselves. The moderators have entirely different responsibilities.  They have to protect the integrity of the forum, police all of us, and then after that they get to be members. I have an immense amount of respect for the moderators here, it's a tough job. Doug is totally right, this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. You can't say that enough, apparently. The forum has a PM feature, if there is something you just can't put aside, use it. The public forum is no place to air dirty laundry. We are all in this hobby for various reasons and purposes.  The CRPF is the best place on the entire web for learning about phones and restoration. I personally have benefited greatly from my short membership here. Case in point...a few months back I became interested in chemical sanding after reading some of John's detailed "regular member post" contributions. I sent him a PM that was maybe a paragraph or two with additional questions. What I got back was an encyclopedic, multi page in depth description of the entire process, with links and descriptions of every item I would need to do the job right. Later, I asked more questions, again short in nature, and got the same very long and heavily detailed responses. Never with a hint of condescension or embarrassment.  He is truly interested in helping. It's sad that anyone would mistake his intentions as otherwise. It also seems that countless other times I had wiring issues that needed hashing out that members here were glad to provide help, advice, instruction, and links to materials, again without making me feel like a newbie, which I definitely am. The CRPF is an invaluable resource, period. Thanks to all the moderators for keeping it that way. I check in here multiple times daily. One day I will be in a position to help future newbies in their newfound love of all things telephone, and I look forward to it.
Butch Harlow

Quote from: Butch Harlow on November 28, 2018, 03:27:11 PM
As forum members, we are all different individuals with different backgrounds and opinions. We have the luxury of only having to be responsible for ourselves. The moderators have entirely different responsibilities.  They have to protect the integrity of the forum, police all of us, and then after that they get to be members. I have an immense amount of respect for the moderators here, it's a tough job. Doug is totally right, this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. You can't say that enough, apparently. The forum has a PM feature, if there is something you just can't put aside, use it. The public forum is no place to air dirty laundry. We are all in this hobby for various reasons and purposes.  The CRPF is the best place on the entire web for learning about phones and restoration. I personally have benefited greatly from my short membership here. Case in point...a few months back I became interested in chemical sanding after reading some of John's detailed "regular member post" contributions. I sent him a PM that was maybe a paragraph or two with additional questions. What I got back was an encyclopedic, multi page in depth description of the entire process, with links and descriptions of every item I would need to do the job right. Later, I asked more questions, again short in nature, and got the same very long and heavily detailed responses. Never with a hint of condescension or embarrassment.  He is truly interested in helping. It's sad that anyone would mistake his intentions as otherwise. It also seems that countless other times I had wiring issues that needed hashing out that members here were glad to provide help, advice, instruction, and links to materials, again without making me feel like a newbie, which I definitely am. The CRPF is an invaluable resource, period. Thanks to all the moderators for keeping it that way. I check in here multiple times daily. One day I will be in a position to help future newbies in their newfound love of all things telephone, and I look forward to it.

I couldn't have said it better myself, agreed John has helped a few members find their way here. As has many of the other mods here.

HarrySmith

I was raised with the old adage, treat people the way you want to be treated. I am not perfect by any means, I make mistakes like everyone else and I have never been insulted or attacked for it. I certainly have never insulted or attacked anyone else either. If we all just use common sense things will be just fine. I always greet new members by telling them they have found the best forum on the net. I firmly believe that, I have been a member in other forums but not for long as they did not have common sense or any moderators that actually cared about the forum. We have a great bunch of guys here that really do care about our forum and they perform a difficult & thankless task to keep it what it is. Also they do not get paid for anything they do here. Countless hours reading every post is a huge time consuming job. Here's to all our moderators, big thanks for all you do!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

By and large, this has been a good place to meet and communicate with others and learn.  A lot.  I hope to see it continue.  I will do what I can to see it continue.  You have been good folks to "talk" with and I truly value that.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

With all these good words up here, and our great moderators, I trust the moderators to take a good decision, good for the forum, and good for the moderators. It is not always fun to be a moderator, but it shall still be worth it.
I feel that we are lucky to have these moderators doing a good job, and I want to keep it that way.
This are and shall hopefully continue to be a place for us who are interested in older telephones, restoration, history, preservation, keeping the knowledge alive etc. For other things we have Twitter, Facebook and other channels where it is more room for criticism of persons.  dsk