"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial tuning, is it good enough or not?

Started by dsk, April 20, 2014, 03:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on October 07, 2015, 04:26:46 PM
This should be good enough, a little oil may do a difference, and at least make it live longer. You should probably not do any adjustments between 9 and 12 pps.

Yes, I agree. When I have more time, I want to put some sort of gentle rust remover on the spring only and let it sit for a while before doing another ultrasonic cleaning. Then, after a few days of drying, I will oil it to get the final dial speed results with a rust free dial, lubricated dial.

For some reason the spring was rusty. I have photos and will post them tomorrow. Posting this here to document the effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning on dials. Does a nice job with the right cleaning solution. And Audacity is very good for this. Only about 0.05% of the software is used but with the ability to expand the recorded sound to 5 digits after the decimal in seconds provides more than significant accuracy in determining dial speed. I use 3 digits after the decimal point, more than enough for this analysis.

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on October 07, 2015, 04:26:46 PM
This should be good enough, a little oil may do a difference, and at least make it live longer. You should probably not do any adjustments between 9 and 12 pps.

Cleaned most of the rust off of the main spring, gave it a second 20 minute ultrasonic cleaning, rinsed it with distilled water, blew it dry with compressed dry air and oil all bearing points. Looks good. Will retest it again in a few days to see if seeping oil makes any changes.

This is the speed analysis of the dial as removed from the phone

This is after cleaning and oiling.

dsk

This shows the effects of cleaning, and oiling in a scientific manner. Good!
:)

dsk