News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual ringer box find

Started by Witty, October 06, 2021, 10:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I found this ringer box at a Denver shop today. Had to clean a lot of crud off it, and will do a more thorough cleaning and refinishing later.

I can't find it anywhere and was hoping someone might be familiar with it and what it might have been used for. It works fine connecting to the outside terminals. It has 2 plug connectors that are not wired inside, but show extended wire connection posts inside.

It has an interesting flap on top between the bells that constricts the ringer when in the down position. The bells are 1-3/4" dia.

Ken

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Witty on October 06, 2021, 10:05:23 PM
I found this ringer box at a Denver shop today. Had to clean a lot of crud off it, and will do a more thorough cleaning and refinishing later.

I can't find it anywhere and was hoping someone might be familiar with it and what it might have been used for. It works fine connecting to the outside terminals. It has 2 plug connectors that are not wired inside, but show extended wire connection posts inside.

It has an interesting flap on top between the bells that constricts the ringer when in the down position. The bells are 1-3/4" dia.

Pretty cool find.
Enter it in the FOTM

I think the clapper cover makes it poratable.
The test jacks may of been wired to the ringer.
These are just guesses
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tubaman

Is that cover on a spring, as if so I wonder if it's a flip-up indicator to show that the bell has rung?
:)

Doug Rose

Ken....that is very cool. I have never seen anything like it. Very Nice!....Doug
Kidphone

Witty

Doug,
Thanks. It's really interesting. I'm looking through everything I can to try to figure out who made it.
I'll post pictures after I clean it up. All the crud actually kept it in very good condition.

Tubaman,
There is no spring but there are two tiny holes that might have had one.

Jim,
I think you are right. There is solder with leftover wire strips at the end of all the interior posts. Looks like the wires were removed and they just used it as an external ringer box.
Ken

Witty

I found this description on a 10 year old site showing the same unit.
It would be nice to find an old catalog to verify it. The flap does stay up by itself when lifted.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/30320-kellogg-switchboard-and-supply-co-cut-in-b

"What you have is a Kellogg Switchboard & Supply Co cut-in bell box. The flap between the bell was to silence the bell when not needed. The two plugs jacks was for a operator to have the ability to cut in or listen in on a line if needed."

I got around to cleaning it up and post some photos below. All finishes and plating are original, it just needed to be cleaned and polished a little.

Ken

oldguy

That's beautiful Ken. Now I've seen 2 In 10 years😀
Gary