News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Touch tone dial

Started by Bigfat55, September 19, 2013, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfat55

I think It would be easier to find a new dial, but where?

G-Man

Perhaps I am wrong but I think it is going to be difficult to find another round T.T. dial, especially in that color.

While you could perform a transplant of the electronics from another dial, depending upon your skill level, you may end up with more than you bargained for.

Steve generally charges a very modest price for repairing dials and when he gets through with them they come back with factory specs.

Bigfat55

GMAN, the blue cover is removable, so it would be a matter of trying to find a new keypad.

G-Man

If you can find another NECo 4-wire dial then you can easily transplant it.

I am not sure they are that plentiful however, if you can only find another T.T. dial with additional wires, we can assist you in adapting it to your instrument.

Bigfat55

G-Man

Quote from: Bigfat55 on September 20, 2013, 06:49:17 PM
I think It would be easier to find a new dial, but where?

First I would suggest that you wait to see if others on this list are able to propose another solution; perhaps I have been remiss with my deductions.

If others on this list are unable to help with the original problem or to help you find another dial, then you should make inquiries on the TCI or ATCA list.

Since a number of their members are of the Canadian persuasion, they may have some of these dials in their inventories.

Of course since you apparently are not really concerned about authenticity, another alternative would be eBay.

Bigfat55

gman, im not concerned about authenticity, i just want to fix this phone so i can mount it in my garage. If I were to find a replacement dial, are there many models I can swap it with?

dsk

My guess:
All 500 type telephone dials from any makes should fit, and even some others using a circular frame around the dial.
dsk

G-Man

Quote from: dsk on September 21, 2013, 10:23:19 AM
My guess:
All 500 type telephone dials from any makes should fit, and even some others using a circular frame around the dial.
dsk

Yes, they would however I doubt that he would want to convert it to rotary dial by using a dial from a 500-set.

Bigfat55

would this phone work? Its a northern telecom, model number 2500AX  It also says OSOM or QSQM

dsk

Probably, yes.
The circular plate should fit on the dial pad, and the dial it selves should have equal way to be fixed to the frame.

Colors-codes might be different so it is a good idea to take some pictures, and/or write down how it is connected to the network.

dsk

Bigfat55

The phones going to cost me $10, no big deal if it doesnt work. Thanks

rdelius

Hopefully that is not the NT set with all the circuitry on the touch pad.

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on September 19, 2013, 10:10:06 PM
Je donne ma langue au chat.

Ne fait pas cela tu ne pourras plus parler et ta femme sera bien trop contente lollllllll...