News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE302 mutes other phones

Started by lnx64, October 29, 2013, 06:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnx64

Hey guys, I used to be here under I think this name, but it appears I lost my name, but that's ok, I'm back again, lol.

Anyways, my WE302 is having some problems, and need some help.  I moved my 302 to the living room, and have it hooked up to the main line in the house.  Both phones (there's only one other phone, a regular desk office type phone from AT&T with it's own power supply), work, they ring and everything.

However, if two people try to be on both phones at the same time, only the 302 can be used to talk with.  For some reason the other phone's microphone becomes muted and no longer works.  If the 302 user hangs up, then the other phones works to talk with.

Any ideas?  I originally had issues getting the 302 to ring, but cleaning the switch hook fixed that.

Phonesrfun

If the 302 sucks up all the current so that another phone does not work, I would suspect that something is wired wrong in the 302 that causes it to present a very low resistance over the line.  You would need to post some photos of the inside wiring of the 302 for anyone to be much help.

As far as ringing is concerned, 99% of all 302's do not have any part of the ringing going through the switch hook, so cleaning the switch hook would not have made it ring or not.  Maybe you wound up jarring something else when you were in the process of cleaning the switch hook.
-Bill G

lnx64

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 29, 2013, 09:43:11 PM
If the 302 sucks up all the current so that another phone does not work, I would suspect that something is wired wrong in the 302 that causes it to present a very low resistance over the line.  You would need to post some photos of the inside wiring of the 302 for anyone to be much help.

As far as ringing is concerned, 99% of all 302's do not have any part of the ringing going through the switch hook, so cleaning the switch hook would not have made it ring or not.  Maybe you wound up jarring something else when you were in the process of cleaning the switch hook.
Possibly (as far as jarring something up) and maybe that's related to this other issue..

Here's a picture of the internal wiring.

As of this picture, the lines red and green wires were reversed, to make them match this wiring diagram I found:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/wd_we302bw-cw-dw_big.jpg

dsk

Its greater experts here than me, but if it worked before, it may be a shorter line with less resistance.  If so a resistor in series with the telephone may do it e.g. 220 ohms.

If the capacitor has shorted, it may cause problems too. Try to isolate (tape?) the red wire from the capacitor located at terminal C and test. The 302 should work, but not as good as usual.

dsk

lnx64

Quote from: dsk on October 30, 2013, 02:47:02 AM
Its greater experts here than me, but if it worked before, it may be a shorter line with less resistance.  If so a resistor in series with the telephone may do it e.g. 220 ohms.

If the capacitor has shorted, it may cause problems too. Try to isolate (tape?) the red wire from the capacitor located at terminal C and test. The 302 should work, but not as good as usual.

dsk
Which wire should I put the resistor in series with, the green or the red one, coming into the phone?

dsk

It should not matter, but it looks like the red one are most easy at your picture.
Doing it inside the telephone, and not on the line will ruse risks for humming sounds.

The resistor value may tested with other values too, depending of what you have, more than 220 ohms may reduce the signal to much. A capacitor of 1-2 microfarad in parallel with the resistor may help the voice signal pass while the resistor limits the current.

An dc amp meter in series with the telephone should not show less than 18 milli-amps in off hook state when one of the other telephones are off hook at the same time. This should be enough to let the transmitter do its job.
This may be difficult, If you have a line like mine automatically compensated to current as great as 35 milli-amps total without hence of number of telephones. In that case you may accept even currents smaller than 18 mA. Just try and deem by yourselves, that is a simple and trustworthy way to do it, but hard to describe a clear routine of whats the  way to do it.

dsk