News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

we 500 p/u transformer

Started by liteamorn, December 18, 2011, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

I just got an all original 1959 WE 500 P/U. It came with the original wire and 4 prong plug. I know I need to get power to the light.  The search I did here gave me some great ideas as to some alternate ideas (transformers 6-9 volts hard wired to the strip under the dial, batteries). How were these lights wired in the first place? All the transformers Princess transformers (2012a) seem to be modular. Was there another wire that ran into the phone or did the transformer get wired into the 4 prong plug?  I really haven't gotten deep into the wires but i would love to make this as OEM as possible.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

jsowers

The transformers were wired to the connecting block or wall jack where the phone's mounting cord connected, to the yellow and black pair. These phones had 4-conductor mounting cords.

You really don't have to use a 2012A. Any 6-volt wall wart transformer will do. I have one to an old TI calculator (vintage early 1980s) that's been plugged in for about 20 years and still working fine. Just cut off the end and strip the wires and connect it. No polarity to worry about with AC, though you may not want to connect it to your house wiring if you have a second line on your yellow and black pair.

There was a 2012A transformer made with screws to connect station wire to the phone outlet or connecting block. If you have a modular one, you can use a modular to spade mounting cord to connect it to your wall jack. It should be hidden for the most part anyway.

Jonathan

liteamorn

Thank you Jonathan. That makes sense. I can't wait to clean this phone up (it doesn't need much )and installed next to my bed.

Ed

liteamorn

I couldn't find a 6v wall wart but I found quite a few 9v . For now I installed the 9v and after some trouble shooting (plug was the culprit)my phone and light work great.

Do you think 9v is to much? I will keep an eye out for a 6v but from what I read on this board 9v should be fine.

telcosteve

Actually the 2012A is 6 to 8v, 1.75Amps  according to my BSP in hand, 501-136-100 "Station Transformers - Identification.'"  The truth is that back in 1975-1980 time frame the stupid thing was catching on fire.  No Bell person will ever admit that.  So...low and behold, the Practice states that the 2012C was now the replacement with a strong verbal warning about not mixing up the 2012B because it was for a different type set which I have forgotten right now.  

Telcosteve

unbeldi

Quote from: telcosteve on February 19, 2013, 07:57:50 PM
Actually the 2012A is 6 to 8v, 1.75Amps  according to my BSP in hand, 501-136-100 "Station Transformers - Identification.'"  

The specification is 1.75 VA, not A.  volt-amp (VA) is the product of RMS voltage and RMS current, apparent power output, which for AC is slightly different than the unit Watt.

So, actually the 2012A only delivers 0.25 A:

I = P / U:  1.75 VA / 7 V = 0.25 A