News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Is the Dial on this 302 type Phone?

Started by SUnset2, February 20, 2020, 01:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Left drum pulses 1-5 pulses depending on number dialed .
Right drum activates 5 pulses  plus 1-5 additional pulses depending on number dialed.
Mechanically this means that any number dialed on the right activates 5 pulses from the left drum plus the pulses from the right ( minus 5).

examples:
5 activates 5 pulses from the left drum
7 activates 5 pulses from the left drum and 2 pulses from the right.
0 activates  10 pulses, 5 from the right drum, 5 from the left drum, all on a very short pull of the dial.
Just a guess on how it dials out.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on February 22, 2020, 05:50:30 PM
...I think the listing might disappear in a few days by way of a side deal.

And disappear it did. Auction ended early by the seller.

Additional screenshot below showing bids before listing was ended.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Here's another screenshot with bids visible.

What do you guys and gals think has happened? An agreement outside ebay? That's not what ebay wants and they usually are after it. Cancelling an auction had a bad outcome for some sellers here in Germany: They had to deliver the item for the price oft the last valid bid. After several courts decided that way it has become frequent that people bid 10 Euros on Ferraris or Rolex watches, hoping the seller will cancel the auction...
The jurisdiction may be different in other countries.

Doug Rose

My take, seller got an offer they could not refuse or Seller realized their phone was not what he/she said it was. Their unwillingness to share pics of the inside makes me choose the latter....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I agree. He probably received so many requests for inside pictures he finally opened it up and realized it was not a real phone. I know I asked for pictures twice, John 3 times, Doug at least once, so many requests must have gotten him thinking.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

It could conceivably be a concept prototype for display purposes only with no functioning internal parts.

Larry

phonium

Revisiting this thread due to a recent discovery.
In the March to May 2020 TCI Singing Wires newsletters, there was a 3 part series about linear dials. In part 2, there is a picture from the Bell Labs Archives showing 2 variations of this set. 1 like this one on Ebay, and another with a different number arrangement. I have attached this photo.
They were non functional sets, but did have simulated dial and ringing tones.
Not a toy and not an intercom. Just a very small test for speeding up dialing times
George Amores
ATCA#4857

MMikeJBenN27

Ma Bell was experimenting with this type of arangement.  This must be one of the prototypes.

Mike