News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Information Needed on WE Pink 554 Wall phone 4/62

Started by Doug Rose, June 24, 2011, 08:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found a really nice WE Pink 554 Wall phone this weekend. Open face finger wheel and all dates 4/62 in working original condition. I was wondering when they first made their appearance. I am not much of a 500 set guy. Handset cord has faded white as I have seen the soft plastic pink 500 sets do. This looks softplastic, but the dates say it is not. Any information would be helpful. I'll post some pictures if the weather ever clears here in Boston....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Dates:  http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#WE500

For material, trust the fingernail test and smell, as previously discussed.  The transition from soft to hard plastic was gradual.  Some early HP housings appear to have been made in the molds made for SP, as the material is thick and the ribs are the same pattern.  When new molds were made, the housings became thinner with fewer ribs to save material.  A team of analysts probably determined the break even point between mold lifetime and material cost.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Doug, I haven't seen a pink 554 dated before late 1958. Pink was added to the 500 colors in late 1957, but I'm not sure it appeared on 554s until close to 1959. At least that's been my observation from the few I've seen. By 1962, it would have to be hard plastic. By then they were also making aqua blue 554s. Most of the soft plastic color parts were used up by 1960. Again, that's been my observation.

The pink handset cords faded badly even in 1964 sets. I don't think they licked that problem until the mid-1960s when the shape of the strain relief changed to a tapered end. That was also about the time the fingerwheels changed to the solid center.

I've noticed the same thing Paul said about the housings being thinner with hard plastic and how the late 1959 housings seem to be thick. That was also the time when they changed from stamped-on dates to the molded-in circle for the date.

Post some pictures, Doug, if you can. I wish we had some of your rain here in NC.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Jonathan...its been a tough few months for you in NC with the tornadoes and now the fires. I hope all is well for you and your family.

I have decided to sell the phone, it is on eBay today....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/6zutyuf
Kidphone

jsowers

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 26, 2011, 08:34:29 AM
Jonathan...its been a tough few months for you in NC with the tornadoes and now the fires. I hope all is well for you and your family.

I've been lucky and haven't been the victim of either one. Though I wouldn't want a lit cigarette thrown in my front yard. All is well so far. I just hope we get some rain soon.

Good luck on selling your 554.

Jonathan