News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any audiophiles out there? Question about a pair of Unitron speakers.

Started by Greg G., January 22, 2019, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on January 24, 2019, 02:31:02 PM
It looks like, from one of your pics, you had a DAK box that plugged into your PC sound card, but I could be mistaken. PC sound is now built-in and not usually a separate card, so the input jacks may be different or if it's a cheaper computer or a laptop, not even there except with the HDMI input or something like that. It depends on the PC.

That sounds familiar, I'll probably just play around with it and see what works.

Quote from: jsowers on January 24, 2019, 02:31:02 PM
My 78s were digitized the old fashioned way, being recorded onto reel-to-reel by me and then to an audio CD recorder. A friend who had the recorder did the transfer.

And now my browser has an audio capture plug-in, making things even easier. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Another option I thought of would be to get an amp and hook the speakers up and sell that as a package.  Since I would be turning around and selling it, I don't want to spend a lot of money on one.  So, I know nothing of amps.  I need suggestions for a low-end amp.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Briny...what are you thinking on the value for the Dual? I sold a pristine B&O for $200, but most turntables go for around $50 to $75 with a working cartridge. With yours not working properly and in need of a cartridge, I would think realistically on its value.  I have sold one Dual in the past for $75 in really nice working condition. These were all yard sale pickups....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 25, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
Briny...what are you thinking on the value for the Dual? I sold a pristine B&O for $200, but most turntables go for around $50 to $75 with a working cartridge. With yours not working properly and in need of a cartridge, I would think realistically on its value.  I have sold one Dual in the past for $75 in really nice working condition. These were all yard sale pickups....Doug

I took a look on Ebay's sold listings and found plenty of examples.  The ones in similar condition to mine (11 examples sold as-is for parts or repair, partial function) sold for an average of $79.  IF I put it on Ebay, it would be local pickup only which would limit my bids.  Plus the fact that wife doesn't want strangers coming to the house ever since the burglary. 
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

You might try selling it locally. Craigs List or Letgo or one of those other selling things apps that have popped up in the last few years. Arrange to meet at a police station or fire house. A lot of them have a place set aside for just such purposes.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

A buyer will want to hear it work before paying for it. At a Flea Market or yard sale, you take a chance for $5. Just my experience. I have a receiver on our covered porch with four speakers connected that I leave out all year. When I sell a turntable, that is where I plug it in as I do not use one myself anymore .....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 26, 2019, 03:03:30 PM
A buyer will want to hear it work before paying for it. At a Flea Market or yard sale, you take a chance for $5. Just my experience. I have a receiver on our covered porch with four speakers connected that I leave out all year. When I sell a turntable, that is where I plug it in as I do not use one myself anymore .....Doug

The buyers of the ones sold on Ebay didn't have that option, but now that you mention it, our covered porch has an outlet.  I can check with the local constabulary to see if they have a place for that.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I put it on CL last night and somebody emailed me about an hour later.  He just left, sold it for $65.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Very nice Briny. I am am happy for you. We sell 5 or 6 a year from yard sales or Flea Markets. Jan now picks them up if she is on her own....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 27, 2019, 05:54:22 PM
Very nice Briny. I am am happy for you. We sell 5 or 6 a year from yard sales or Flea Markets. Jan now picks them up if she is on her own....Doug

I was thinking about doing the same thing since they sell much more quickly than old phones.  I'll need to educate myself on other makes/models besides the Dual 1219.
- Mike Row
e