News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Blue Sally 30 and Sanding Issue, Help

Started by debeaune, August 24, 2014, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

I have a Stromberg blue that I used the Sally 30 on, 2 hours, packed in a plastic tub in sunlight as I have done before with success.  See pic for before shot, was really bad, note the small blue area where a decal was and the mouth piece turned upside down for reference.  All parts came back 100% except the top side of the hand set.  It had a white spot and a greenish tinted line straight down the middle running the length of the handset.  I started wet sanding 600- 1500 but am noticing its getting worse, more greenish than blue now.  I know its a solid blue handset, but its almost like i'm sanding down to a green phone.  Any idea what I need to do differently? Thanks

WesternElectricBen

From the one picture, it's hard to see exactly what has happened to your handset, but I would just keep sanding and sanding. The handsets are quite solid, if your worried about that.

Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: debeaune on August 24, 2014, 06:52:17 PM
All parts came back 100% except the top side of the hand set.  It had a white spot and a greenish tinted line straight down the middle running the length of the handset.  I started wet sanding 600- 1500 but am noticing its getting worse, more greenish than blue now.

How about posting a picture of the handset as you now see it, after sanding? Thanks.

debeaune

Appologies, here are 2 pics as it looks now, hope you can see the green look on the handset.  Let me know, Tim

TelePlay

Interesting. Do you think the strip is the true color and the flats of the handset need more sanding to match the true color center stripe?

Can you post a picture of the inside of the shell for a color comparison?

WesternElectricBen

It appears as if your not using enough pressure when sanding? I'm guessing you are going lighter over the ridges, because you don't want to smooth them out?

I could be wrong,

Ben

Dennis Markham

That looks like an A.E. 80 to me, not a Stromberg Carlson.

debeaune

I'm sorry, it is an AE, my other red was a stromberg, sorry.  The inside of the handset is as blue as the phone body.  I am using 600, should i step down to a 400 and work back to 600 and then up?  Thanks for the help