News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Complete AE34 Monophone in great condition

Started by AE40FAN, May 17, 2013, 06:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Finally, after all these years I've been able to obtain an Automatic Electric Monophone 34 desk unit at a reasonable price.  It was listed on eBay for 68.50 BIN + 16.50 shipping.  I received it today it is complete (besides a dial card/ring).  It will clean up nicely.  Originally, I was considering stripping the handset rings but, they are in such great shape I will more than likely touch them up with a paint marker.  It lasted this long in its original condition I am keeping it that way!  Handset cord will also stay even though it has faded It's in great shape.  Line cord will go.  Oddly, both handset caps unscrewed right off with ease?!  It has the converted AE40 receiver element.

Mr. Bones

Nice Score!!!!

Color me jealous; I am also biding my time, waiting for "the deal" on an AE34. Yours looks like a Beautiful example!

Enjoy!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

LarryInMichigan

Congratulations, you got a great deal.  Be extremely careful when unscrewing the transmitter cap.  You must hold the bakelite part in place when turning the brass part or you will break the spring contacts inside.

Larry

AE40FAN

Thanks for the advice Larry.  These caps actually came right off without hassle I didn't even need a jar opener or strap wrench.

AE40FAN

I love this phone.  Thank you Gary Goff for providing me with a replacement rubber gasket base.  I kept it as original as possible with the exception of the dial card and a new gasket.  The old gasket was starting to crack.  I am also glad I kept the original paint around the handset bands...classic black baby!   FYI, the brown cord was faded but, I managed to revive it with Howards Restor a Finish.

AE40FAN

I was browsing Etsy and this basket case turned up.  It's another AE34 that cost me a total of 60 dollars.  40 for the phone and 20 for shipping.  Originally, It was black and someone did a sloppy job spray painting it Ivory.  This is going to be a labor of love and I am going to do my best to document this from beginning to end.  Follow me on this journey...

AE40FAN

I've began investigating by opening up the shell and taking apart the fingerwheel/porcelain dial plate.  Bad news, the two wires leading to the bell ringers have been cut?  Also, the gong between the two bells has been bent?  Why would someone want to do this?  Also, the line cord was improperly wired?  In addition, the original dial has suffered from over spray of the paint.  Cords and rubber gasket will need to be replaced as they are brittle and starting to crack.  On a positive note the porcelain dial plate cleaned up better than I would have anticipated!  Any ideas on what I should use to strip the paint (Doug)?

WesternElectricBen

Maybe you need to change your name to AE 34 Fan...

Ben

Doug Rose

AE 34s are bakelite. Stripper will melt the paint off and has protected the bakelite all these years. In 24 hours you will have a very shiny black bakelite phone. Stripper-fine stell wool-qtips for the gates- Avon SOS. When you post fabulous pictures...I told you so  ;D  This will be a beauty...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That's a GREAT find!  I paid much more for mine, and it is missing its ringer and condenser.  The ringer mounts for these are very hard to find.  The biggest problem with AE34s is that the shells crack easily, so finding one with an unbroken shell is an accomplishment.  I looks forward to seeing pictures of it after it have been restored to its original beauty.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

You will want cloth cords.  I believe that the originals would have been black.

Larry

AE40FAN

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 05, 2013, 07:43:33 PM
AE 34s are bakelite. Stripper will melt the paint off and has protected the bakelite all these years. In 24 hours you will have a very shiny black bakelite phone. Stripper-fine stell wool-qtips for the gates- Avon SOS. When you post fabulous pictures...I told you so  ;D  This will be a beauty...Doug

You think the orange "indoor" stripper is fine?  I'm hoping for brass underneath as well will stripper work on that as well?

AE40FAN

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 05, 2013, 07:28:39 PM
Maybe you need to change your name to AE 34 Fan...

Ben

Ben,

The AE40 was my very first rotary phone.  It was love at first site.  I created a quick account on here not thinking it would ever progress so I just went with "AE40Fan".  All I wanted to ask was a simple question.  Now, look at me years later very involved with phone collecting and this forum!

stub

AE40FAN ,
             You got the original transmitter and spitcup, the other one was updated. Nice!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE40FAN

Quote from: stub on July 05, 2013, 08:47:44 PM
AE40FAN ,
             You got the original transmitter and spitcup, the other one was updated. Nice!!!!   stub

Stub, I didn't even notice that til now!?  Even though the other one was updated it is still a beautiful phone ;D