News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Seriously messed up Multiline-eBay

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 14, 2013, 10:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Well, as I regularly peruse through eBay I found this. As you might know, or not, I have been wiring a 1a2 with my phone friend and I need to stock up one some more multilines, I have 5 or 6 at the moment. I prefer green, if you have one to sell to me. :)

Though, this caught my eye, it says mustered color, well I think its faded yellow at the best. And look at the foot, did someone get mad and squeeze it or what?

I'm not going to even mention the filth.. Is that box a awkward signaling switch that I do not recognize?

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121210570420

Tell me what you think,
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Sorry about my absolutely atrocious cropping techniques thanks to Microsoft Paint.

Ben

poplar1

Looks beige with a faded white handset. The switch could be for ring transfer or ringer cutoff.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on November 14, 2013, 11:51:44 PM
Looks beige with a faded white handset. The switch could be for ring transfer or ringer cutoff.

So that is what it is? It makes more sence than a signaling key, as it's a switch.

Ben

G-Man

The seller is upfront about its condition by uploading detailed photos showing all of its flaws and as has already been pointed out, the switch is standard for use for such things as transmitter or ringer cut-off.

With a .99 cent opening bid I think the seller is being fair. Even if it were not restorable, it might be worth a couple of dollars to someone who is in need of the line cord or other parts.

The set's housing will probably clean-up just fine though it may need an additional sandpaper treatment, and of course the handset is badly faded.

Also, in telephony key and switch are frequently used interchangeably.

twocvbloke

That squished foot is probably from storage...  :D

poplar1

Buyer would still need a mounting cord--since both cords are missing.

The switch/key came in different configurations; most common I recall was for "ring transfer." This would switch the common audible pair--yellow-slate pair for ringer or yellow-green for buzzer--back over a spare pair to another phone. This was done for example when the person was going to lunch and wanted someone else to "cover" (answer) the calls that normally would ring at this station. An additional buzzer or ringer would be added at the destination station that would be activated only when the key was operated.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on November 15, 2013, 02:59:46 PM
Buyer would still need a mounting cord--since both cords are missing.

The switch/key came in different configurations; most common I recall was for "ring transfer." This would switch the common audible pair--yellow-slate pair for ringer or yellow-green for buzzer--back over a spare pair to another phone. This was done for example when the person was going to lunch and wanted someone else to "cover" (answer) the calls that normally would ring at this station. An additional buzzer or ringer would be added at the destination station that would be activated only when the key was operated.

Thanks for letting me know, that is a pretty cool function like an automatic transfer system.

Ben

poplar1

nothing automatic about it--strictly manual way of "forwarding" your calls.

Contempra

exact David, just lift up the button and the ringer or call I don,t know, what ever, was transfering to another phone....

poplar1

Usually, you would answer one of the incoming lines (keys 2, 3, 4 or 5); then put the call on hold (far left key); then use the far right button (intercom) to tell someone to pick up the call. That person would then push the winking key of the line on hold.

The separately mounted key (switch) on the right in this picture was for a different purpose---such as turning the ringer (or buzzer) on or off, or, as I suggested, transferring the ringing to someone else.

Often, there would be only one or two "receptionists" who answered the outside calls, then used the intercom or overhead paging to alert the desired party of a waiting call.  So the outside calls usually didn't ring on everyone's phone at once.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on November 15, 2013, 05:25:56 PM
Usually, you would answer one of the incoming lines (keys 2, 3, 4 or 5); then put the call on hold (far left key); then use the far right button (intercom) to tell someone to pick up the call. That person would then push the winking key of the line on hold.

The separately mounted key (switch) on the right in this picture was for a different purpose---such as turning the ringer (or buzzer) on or off, or, as I suggested, transferring the ringing to someone else.

Often, there would be only one or two "receptionists" who answered the outside calls, then used the intercom or overhead paging to alert the desired party of a waiting call.  So the outside calls usually didn't ring on everyone's phone at once.

Oh, oh, now I really understand that..

Tha function makes sence, it would be a hecteck office with all the ringing.

Ben