and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Ebay Acquisitions!

Started by DavePEI, December 23, 2011, 07:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: GG on December 31, 2011, 04:11:10 AM

Re. wall-mounting of explosion-proof or intrinsically-safe telephones:

What I'd do is get a piece of 1" thick plywood and mount it centered on a wall stud using multiple screws.  Don't use "drywall" screws, they do not have sufficient shear strength, go to a decent hardware store and ask for screws for mounting heavy items to wall studs.  

Then you can mount the phone to the plywood, also using heavy duty screws.  

I wouldn't try to get plywood cut to a circle to match the size of the phone because it might be difficult to get it to line up correctly.  Rectangular and larger could work, or circular and smaller where an inexact alignment won't show.  

---

If you have to take one of these through an airport, I'd suggest using the term "intrinsically safe telephone" rather than any term with the word "explosive" in it, to avoid making anyone nervous:-)

Yes, that is how I always mount heavy telephones in the museum - on a plywood backboard screwed with 2 inch #10 robertson screws to the studs. I have all the backboards painted a complementary colour for a uniform look throughout the museum. I will be able to catch 4 studs where I count this phone, and actually two of them with the phone base - so it will be mounted solidly. Needs to be!

This phone will be connected to the Panasonic PBX you are sending eventually.

I am glad that the metal lock stud in the phone was free and not corroded - I loosened the hex screw which fixes it in place, and out it popped as it should. It would have been a pain if it hadn't. The TT dial on the later phones like this uses Stainless rods from each push-button to contact the actual TT circuit board, the rods passing through the center baffle of the phone, keeping the actual contacts on the board which could generate a spark out of the external atmosphere..

---

It is a wonder that the phone didn't get blown up by Customs - it was labelled on the customs declaration as an "Explosive Phone"!  <G> If I had been a customs officer not knowing what it was, it would have been  carted off to the nearest bomb disposal squad! The term "intrinsically safe telephone" is a much better way to describe it for them!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001