News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric N800 C50 Won't Ring

Started by debeaune, April 18, 2014, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Working on an Automatic Electric N800 C50 and have dial tone, incoming/outgoing no problem, just no Ring.  Looks like it was rewired for a modular so not sure if they mis-wired, have no diagrams on this one.  Please check out the photos and please let me know if the problem is evident.  Thank you. Tim

TelePlay

Looks like a 60 Hz frequency ringer, not a straight line (SL) ringer.

POTS lines are 20 Hz, if I remember correctly, and ring generators are 20 Hz or 30 Hz.

What are you using to try and ring the phone?

--------------------

EDIT:  the photo below is from one of my AE straight line (SL)  ringers and provided as an example of where the marking is on the subject phone in question, which has a 60~ and not a "SL" designation

debeaune

John, Just plugged her in and called the number, so straight line.  Think this can be mod'd to work or DOA? Thank you sir.

HarrySmith

SL = straight line
IIRC from my days of AE 80 & 90 rebuilds there is one wire you need to move. I think it was the wire from terminal 8 to terminal 10?
I am sure one of our AE experts will chime in later today.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 19, 2014, 06:01:33 AM
SL = straight line

Harry, I think I confused this topic by posting a picture of one of my AE straight line ringers as an example of what I was talking about to help debeaune see what I was talking about. The ringer on the subject phone has a 60 ~ marking, as shown in this blow up of the subject phone. Sorry, should have been more clear in my last, late night post.

TelePlay

Quote from: debeaune on April 19, 2014, 05:30:11 AM
John, Just plugged her in and called the number, so straight line.  Think this can be mod'd to work or DOA? Thank you sir.

There is a lot of information already on the forum about frequency ringers and ways to try to get them to work on a standard phone (POTS - plain old telephone system) line. I couldn't find the one I was looking for so just use the search terms " frequency ringer " in a forum search and you will get a lot of links discussing them on the forum. A lot to read there but very informative.

HarrySmith

Oops :o
Sorry, I thought I was looking at the ringer in question.
A search will turn up many suggestions. Everything from adding caps to trimming the reed.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

debeaune

Will give it a shot, looks like changing ringer may be the easier option, will try to reed/cap 1st for fun, see how it goes 1st. Thanks all, good times.

debeaune

Gonna have to ask a noob question, what is the reed, lol? see pic.

TelePlay

This metal piece into which the clapper arm mounts.

EDIT: Can you post a photo of the ringer's other side, the bottom side, so we can see how the clapper wire attached to the reed and armature.

debeaune

Thanks John, constant learning/grasping of the obvious on my end, sorry.  So I understand, trimming the 2 edges (left and right) and working with various capacitors could be a solution vice changing out ringer? Am I trimming 1/4, 1/2 etc initially? Thanks for your patience, I'm an old military Electronics tech but phones were something I never touched so fun to learn from you guys. Tim

stub

Tim,
        Here's a breakdown on your ringer parts.  Hope you can read it. You can hook up your ringer like this to test and adjust it, remember this is AC voltage at about 90 volts on POTS (plain old telephone service) Left click on pic to enlarge . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Quote from: stub on April 20, 2014, 07:13:43 AM
Tim,
        Here's a breakdown on your ringer parts.

Ken,

The photo you posted looks like a SL ringer similar to the AE SL ringer in the first photo below and the third photo which is a B3A SL 302 ringer (and I really don't know the difference between a B1A and a B3A ringer so if you could help with that, I'd appreciate it).

Looking at the parts list,it seems not all frequency ringers are created equal. The second photo below is a frequency ringer from a North that I have. It does not have an armature, only what appears to be the "reed" in red attaching the parts holding the clapper wire to the ringer with the flex point indicated by the green arrow. I see the "reed" in your parts photo but where does it fit in the assembled ringer, where is it mounted?

I asked debeaune, in my last post, to take and post a photo of the other side of the ringer so we can see how the clapper wire is attached to the armature and point out the reed.

Also, does a frequency ringer have the same magnetic issues of a B1A whereby if the coils are removed from the frame, they loose magnetism and decrease the ability of the ringer to strike the clapper or are frequency ringers not magnetized as is the B1A?

Thanks for help with this, Ken. Trying to learn here and as always, it gets complicated real fast.

stub

John,
        The pic of mine( above) is a SL ringer, it's just to show how to hook up while adjusting his ringer.
         The pic you first posted, the reed is attached to the clapper by the large nut and that assy is held in place by the 2 screws to the right of your arrow on the base of ringer. Here another pic of a AE 80 frq. ringer with reed pointing North and South at base of ringer.
          The SL AE ringers I have had all to pieces for some time seem to work fine. You will have to talk to Phonesrfun(Bill) or some of the other WE people .    Hope this helps.
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Quote from: stub on April 20, 2014, 06:53:48 PM
Hope this helps.

Ken,

Yes, thank you. Now I see it. Missed it before in plain sight. Added the photo below to the post above to make the correction/update.