News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

High Hopes

Started by Fabius, May 31, 2016, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I love optimistic people. I just live how he says: But if you pick up a putty knife and shave off the layers of pigeon excrement, you'll see this amazing piece for what it truly is.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/ele/5610537951.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )

Found on the Antique Radio Forum.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dan/Panther

I belong to the ARF, have been a member for years.
This gem will be an heirloom for the next 60 seconds.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AL_as_needed

Just gut what little is left of the tube television, keep its outer frame on the front and put a flatscreen LCD in from behind....ta-da!  ;D
TWinbrook7

andre_janew

The set might be worth $29, if that.  I think the $229 price tag is a bit too optimistic.

TelePlay

What it is has been preserved for posterity in the first post. But the seller's description can't be lost so here it is in its entirety. This will be great for a pick-me-up laugh for ever more.

"Hey everyone---Thanks for looking. Up for sale we have an unrestored classic/vintage Philco television-entertainment center with included turntable. Some cosmetic issues and needs a new CRT (easy) and a little elbow grease and you will be the life of the hipster party scene with this mid-century modern classique! Just think of the famous epic broadcasts that phosphoresced from this beauty in her heyday: Neil Armstrong hopping from the lunar lander onto the surface of the moon and flubbing his prepared "one giant leap" speech, Richard Nixon backing into the helicopter and flashing the victory hand sign...Who knows? Maybe this solid, American-built hardwood beauty was still buzzing along when Justin Timberlake "malfunctioned" Janet Jackson's wardrobe at the Super Bowl? Probably not. But if you pick up a putty knife and shave off the layers of pigeon excrement, you'll see this amazing piece for what it truly is. Call me. Let's talk."

:)

Fabius

I just noticed the console matches the décor of the room it's in.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on June 04, 2016, 09:52:33 AM
I just noticed the console matches the décor of the room it's in.

Well, seems the seller is smart enough not to touch it, much less move it to a good light position for high resolution, detailed images. Looks like one of those old concrete block dairy farm milk sheds abandoned and as such, left to the pigeons for overhead roosting decades ago.

19and41

That should be of great interest to psittacosis researchers.   

============

Psittacosis — "also known as parrot fever, and ornithosis — is a zoonotic infectious disease caused by a bacterium called Chlamydophila psittaci and contracted from infected parrots, such as macaws, cockatiels and budgerigars, and pigeons, sparrows, ducks, hens, gulls and many other species of bird."
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Is psittacosis a problem where this set is located?

19and41

Under encrustations of bird droppings?  The odds are good.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

Quote from: andre_janew on June 05, 2016, 11:57:55 AM
Is psittacosis a problem where this set is located?

Not sure about psittacosis but it must not have a problem with crime. Notice the front door doesn't have a door knob.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

b3tamax11

Looks like they found that thing in an abandoned house and snatched it, or someone bought the property and this was in it.

TelePlay

Quote from: b3tamax11 on June 05, 2016, 07:28:49 PM
Looks like they found that thing in an abandoned house and snatched it, or someone bought the property and this was in it.

. . . I vote for number 2 because it seems the undisturbed fallen ceiling from that room is laying around and on top of the TV and its parts.

Mr. Bones

Might watch out for histoplasmosis, as well... :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoplasmosis

Best regards!

Bird Lover/Companion/Human Perch lol! ;D ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andre_janew

What other diseases are you guys going to come up with?