News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 05, 2017, 07:22:42 PM
I'm not aware of the MTS one myself, but I wouldn't mind seeing it while I am waiting.

Sample pages (not mine)

Jack

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

"Too bad you don't have a copy of the page facing the AE40.

Seriously though, those photos of the Manitoba handbook are very neat.

Thank you, looking forward to more.

AE_Collector

I have a pile of 5 of these AE pocket manuals but found that only one of them is concerned with Station Apparatus, the others are concerned with outside plant topics such as pole line construction.

I found this which is the same info that Jack posted though I didn't have any reference to the 47 sets:
AE Technical Bulletin 700-40 Issue 1 January 1957
L-4123 Standard Type 40 with circuit label D-53940-A
L-4107 With Spotter dial for SATT-A with circuit label D-530019-A
L-4119 Party line station for SATT-B with circuit label D-530131-A
L-4117 Superimposed Ringing with circuit label D-530031-A

And the AE 50 wall sets:
AE Technical Bulletin 700-50 Issue 2 February 1957
L-5100 Standard Type 50 with circuit label D-53702-A
L-5107 With Spotter dial for SATT-A with circuit label D-530037-A
L-5112 Party line station for SATT-B with circuit label D-530130-A
L-5110 Superimposed Ringing with circuit label D-530032-A

An interesting thing written on the top of these bulletins which pins down the date that AE moved from Chicago to Northlake Illinois:
AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC
Chicago 7, Illinois, USA
After August 15, 1957:
Northlake, Illinois, USA

Terry

RotoTech99

The imformation looks good, Thank you. Can you scan and either email or post to the forum a copy of the one you have that covers telephone apparatus, please?

It would help me more to see the actual handbook, please.

If you can email it to me, please send it to eburnett1963@gmail.com

RotoTech99

Can you also send a copy of the Technical Bulletin 700-400, please?

if you email it, please send it to eburnett1963@gmail.com, or post it to the forum, please.

Thank you, RotoTech99

AE_Collector

A comment about the Manitoba Telephone System pictures posted above by Jack Ryan, The 40 looks to be equipped with a GPO dial which was very common with the provincially owned Telco's in that time frame but is it just me or does it appear to be mounted on the surface of the 40 rather than recessed in flush like normal? Maybe the dial was slightly larger diameter so it wouldn't fit into the recess and a spacer had to be used. I have never seen a dial mounted like that on a 40 before.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear  AE Collector:

I noticed the GPO dial also, and agree with you.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I noticed you posted about having one handbook about phones in your reply regarding the AE Handbooks earlier.

Can you post a copy of that particular handbook and/or email me a copy, please?

I believe seeing the handbook itself would help immensely for the forum and me.

BTW: We're getting a lot of good responses on this topic, I look forward to seeing more, and whatever documents and more information that comes of it.

Thank you, RotoTech99

AE_Collector

Not scans but to ease your curiosity, this is what the pocket guides looked like. And I will include pictures of the 4 pages showing the 4 variations of the model 40.

I will try to scan this book eventually as I know others are interested in it as well. But, like Jack, I have felt over run with things that need doing for quite some time now. These pocket manuals were designed for installer/repairmen to carry with them and could easily have sections on different models added or removed. This one has sections on the 40, 43, 50, 80, 85, 88, 88A, 90, 183 and several models if AE payphones.

(Click on pictures to enlarge)

Terry

Jim Stettler

LT&T (Lincoln Telephone and Telegraph)  handbooks have an AE40 (and maybe AE34) section. This would be the small bsp handbook style. There may be some in the TCI library.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

I don't see a link to the LINCOLN TEL, LTT handbooks in the TCI Library...

I will keep looking, in the meantime, where would it be?

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Hello, i did not see a Lincoln Tel. Handbook with AE40 and 34 data.
I used their search and didn't find it.

Thank you for the files, I'm not presently at a computer where I can get to the pictures you sent of the handbook; I will try getting those later.

Can you send pictures of the pages with the dial, ringer and feature codes, please?

rdelius

The #10 dial shown on the type 40 from Manatoba  was mounted on a bakelite adaptor ring. this raised up  the dial so it was not flush with the case. The largest part of the dial was larger than the US 3 inch standard.

RotoTech99

Dear Rdelius:

Thanks,that explains a lot about that.

Do you by chance have the Manitoba handbook you could post?