News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stop Paying MagicJack and Vonage - Google Voice is free Here is HOW TO

Started by markosjal, August 02, 2017, 02:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Ok since this seems to come up a lot. I think I posted this here elsewehere  but can not find it so here it is in its own thread.

Replacement for MagicJack or Vonage with Google Voice.

First the basics then the optional extras

Get a google voice account with number . It is free. Log in to gmail then go to http://voice.google.com . If not in USA use a VPN or Proxy to access the google voice site . YOU WILL NEED A US CELL PHONE NUMBER TO VERIFY A GOOGLE VOICE ACCOUNT TO. YOU CAN THEN REMOVE IT.

After sign up you can then log in to google voice from anywhere.

While still logged in to google go to https://simonics.com/gw/ and sign up for their service and pay the 6 bucks by PayPal. Allow Simonics access to google Voice. Simonics will provide you with SIP login credentials for your device. (note you can set up multiple devices and use "mini PBX" feature including calling between devices.)

Options
E 911 Service for users in USA and Canada DO NOT SKIP THIS IS IN N AMERICA YOUR 6 YEAR OLD DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT WHILE GRANDMA IS DYING HE CAN NOT DIAL 911 FROM THIS PHONE. . Go to http://gv911.com and pay them 12 bucks with PayPal.. Their dialplan example will work on Sipura/Linksys/Cisco devices as is, although it says it is for Obahi devices.

Number porting (in testing now) To port your Vonage or MagicJack number, get a T-mobile prepaid SIM . you can buy on ebay no matter where you are as you will only need the phone number and PIN. Call the T-mobile porting department and initiate your number port over the phone. Seller "wirelessmonkey onm ebay seemed more versed in how to do this than any other seller.
Once number port to T Mobile is complete after a few days you can port out to Google voice by way of your Google voice account. COMPLETE THE PORT BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR SIMONICS.COM! SiMONICS IS DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO CAUSE A PROBLEM BY CHANGING THE NUMBER
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

HarrySmith

Quote from: markosjal on August 02, 2017, 02:06:24 PM
Ok since this seems to come up a lot. I think I posted this here elsewehere  but can not find it so here it is in its own thread.

Replacement for MagicJack or Vonage with Google Voice.

First the basics then the optional extras

Get a google voice account with number . It is free. Log in to gmail then go to http://voice.google.com . If not in USA use a VPN or Proxy to access the google voice site . YOU WILL NEED A US CELL PHONE NUMBER TO VERIFY A GOOGLE VOICE ACCOUNT TO. YOU CAN THEN REMOVE IT.

After sign up you can then log in to google voice from anywhere.

While still logged in to google go to simonics.com and sign up for their service and pay the 6 bucks. Simonics will provide you with SIP login credentials for your device. (note you can set up multiple devices and use "mini PBX" feature including calling between devices.)

Options
E 911 Service for users in USA (possibly Canada???) DO NOT SKIP THIS IS IN N AMERICA YOUR 6 YEAR OLD DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT WHILE GRANDMA IS DYING HE CAN NOT DIAL 911 FROM THIS PHONE. . Go to GV911 and pay them 12 bucks. Their dialplan example will work on Sipura/Linksys/Cisco devices as is.

Number porting (in testing now) To port your Vonage or MagicJack number, get a T-mobile prepaid SIM . you can buy on ebay no matter where you are as you will only need the phone number and PIN. Call the T-mobile porting department and initiate your number port over the phone. Seller "wirelessmonkey onm ebay seemed more versed in how to do this than any other seller.
Once number port to T Mobile is complete after a few days you can port out to Google voice by way of your Google voice account. COMPLETE THE PORT BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR SIMONICS.COM! SiMONICS IS DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO CAUSE A PROBLEM

Quote from: markosjal on August 02, 2017, 02:06:24 PM

While still logged in to google go to simonics.com and sign up for their service and pay the 6 bucks. Simonics will provide you with SIP login credentials for your device. (note you can set up multiple devices and use "mini PBX" feature including calling between devices.

I do not know what a SIP is. What device(s) do I need? Will my Panasonic PBX work?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

markosjal

Harry,

SIP is the most common VoIP protocol today. It is used by Cisco/Linksys, Grandstream, and most every other major VoIP device manufacturer.

If you have a PBX with analog lines you can use a device such as a Linksys PAP2 , SPA2000 , Cisco ata186 , or many grandstream devices. These are called ATAs (Analog Telephone Adapter) and convert SIP to emulate an analog phone line. These are the same kinds of devices used by Vonage and MagicJack. This will then emulate a phone line that you connect to a phone or PBX . You just need to be careful about call supervision, such as disconnect tones or polarity reversal, so the PBX and ATA speak the same language.

If you are really interested  I can set it all up for you for a fee on a two port device giving you 2 Gooole voice lines that you can connect to your PBX

Contact me if you like

Mark
+1 503 489 7870
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish