and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist Red soft plastic 500

Started by Sargeguy, October 04, 2014, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 05, 2014, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: Kenton K on October 05, 2014, 02:14:43 PM
I just tried MEK on soft plastic, and yes, it does work.

Ken

Link of product, please?

MEK is a strong type of thinner. Its great for dissolving plastic. Its used commonly for plastic welding. Much better than acetone in my opinion.

Here is what a google search turned up:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/klean-strip--methyl-ethyl-ketone-solvent-not-for-sale-in-california--P004_121_006_509

I'm not sure how shipping would work, (says not for sale in CA, where I'm located). It may have restricted shipping. I think the best place to buy it is at a paint supply store, or marine supply store. Many of the big hardware stores don't stock it, like my local ACE and Home Depot, but every store is different. Hobby stores may also have some, but the price may be inflated.

kleinkaliber

MEK just recently got really hard to find in CA. All the hardware stores have switched over to a MEK substitute that doesn't work for our use. I did find some about 6 months ago at a Benjamin Moore paint store.

Kenton K

I just checked my local Kelly Moore and they had gallon cans for $25. (In CA)

Sargeguy

The local Home Depot had quart sized cans for $10.  Hobby Lobby had some eye droppers.  Now I just need a little red soft plastic.  I think I'll trim some off of one of the switch hook plates.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

I like to shave some plastic from the ribs, or the supporting ring where the exclusion switch hole would have been drilled.

KK

Sargeguy

I thought of that but since I have an extra cover I might as well use it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The card was stained with age and rust so I soaked it in water for a couple of days, changing the water every 12 hours and then soaking in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.  There is still a  rust stain on the back but overall it came out pretty nice:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409