News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

544 and 564 3 line and 5 line.... which to choose?

Started by Babybearjs, April 07, 2020, 01:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

In my collection I have several different multiline phones... mostly I have 564-65 phones... but I also have a few 544 phones that have been converted into 2544 phones. because the 564-65 phone will handle 3 to 5 lines, the question is.... should these be used thoughout the system, converting only a few to 3 line phones by unlocking the last 2 buttons and using them for signalling. I have been thinking about this option and wanted to ask you all about this idea. should I just stay with one model and adapt it as needed or use both 3 and 5 line phones on my system. in my front bedroom the phone is a 2544 3 line phone thats hooked up to lines 1, 3, and ICM. While in the livingroom all 3 lines and the ICM is accessable. (line 4 is not being used right now, but wired) I have so many 5 line phones that the 444, 445, 544's are becoming redundant.... wanted to get some feedback from you all on this subject...
John

RB

Babybearjs

thats true.... I'll have to experiment and see how I like it...
John

Key2871

Your always shifting gears aren't you.
Things wear out that way.. Maybe just chose what you want to do and stick with it?
KEN

Babybearjs

so I'm learning! I went ahead  and tried to convert the last 2 buttons on one of my phones and quickly discovered they don't like that.... the last 2 buttons locked up when I tried to access them while one of the regular line buttons were pressed. so.... things will stay the way they are now... but, I wanted to ask and see what other people do and see if it would work for me.... it doesn't....
John

Key2871

Did you try to "convert" the 564 565?
Or a 400 key? Your not clear.
The keys on the 500 series sets are easy to do. And if you unscrew and remove the post the keys will only be momentary. I've never seen the 400 in person, so I don't know.
KEN

Babybearjs

it was 1 of the 564's... the 400 series just stays the way it is... they were never convertable unless you changed the guts... I'll just leave things the way they are... is not broken, so why try to fix it.... just thought I'd try and it didn't work the way I wanted it to.... so, I'll just leave it alone...
John

Key2871

Well I noticed after those age the greese gets stiff.
So it's not uncommon for the keys to get stuck.
I wanted to add it's the part that slides back and forth between the keys that prevent two keys from being pressed at the same time that can get sticky. When you remove the post that locks the buttons in position, that eliminates any problem.
I used a LITTLE wd40 to help loosen things up.
Or if you didn't remove the post all the way that too will cause the keys to jamb.
I thought the units in the 400 sets were not changeable.
KEN