"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Identify

Started by DAP06850, March 28, 2012, 05:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAP06850

Quote from: MyDodgeDip on March 28, 2012, 08:29:06 PM
What kind of wall is it going on? Drywall and Studs? Open Studs? Concrete?

It will be going on my garage wall which has 1/2" painted sheathing, yes it will
be just a display piece sharing it's wall with already hung traffic signals, highway
signs and misc. fuel and oil advertising. The top of the SNET case will be illuminated.

The other odd thing about this phone is that I purchased it from a guy in PA,
when I took delivery on it I noticed that the phone prefix is from right here in town.
So this phone ended up right back from where it started.

It indeed was ripped from a wall as noticed in a previous reply.
It arrived with a piece of plywood attached.
I chiseled and cut the wood away and ended up with the 3 anchors seen in
the pics on the back of the phone. If I were to unscrew them they would fall right back into the phone.

MyDodgeDip

If it were me and I wanted to do it on the cheap, I'd make a mounting plate with holes that lined up to the phones threaded holes, build it a little longer or wider than the enclosure and out of plywood, paint it the color of the wall, mount the plywood plate to the enclosure, mount the phone to the enclosure and screw the plywood plate to the wall across a couple studs.

If that doesn't make sense, I can draw a sketch  :D

DAP06850

Quote from: MyDodgeDip on March 28, 2012, 09:13:28 PM
If it were me and I wanted to do it on the cheap, I'd make a mounting plate with holes that lined up to the phones threaded holes, build it a little longer or wider than the enclosure and out of plywood, paint it the color of the wall, mount the plywood plate to the enclosure, mount the phone to the enclosure and screw the plywood plate to the wall across a couple studs.

If that doesn't make sense, I can draw a sketch  :D

Yes sir, I was thinking the same thing and that's gonna be one of the
projects this weekend.
I don't think I would have noticed those threaded holes without your
input...Thanks again.

It's a unique piece of local history and it's gonna look cool hangin' there with the other stuff.

I can still hear their jingle in my head:

S.N.E.T.  .... We Go Beyond The Call.

From Wikipedia:

The Southern New England Telephone Company (commonly referred to as SNET by its customers) is a local exchange carrier owned by AT&T. It started operations on January 27, 1878 as the District Telephone Company of New Haven. It was the founder of the first telephone exchange, as well as the world's first telephone book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_New_England_Telephone

G-Man

The threaded holes are not intended to be used to secure the payphone by threading them through the back of the back of the payphone into the mounting surface. Rather, they are intended to be used with 14-20 shoulder-screws.

Once the shoulder-screws are attached to the back of the payphone, they are lined-up with the corresponding slotted-holes in the mounting back-plate of your enclosure, allowing the phone to be hung until (or if) the security screws are attached to permanently secure it.

Here is a link showing the shoulder-screws/bolts/studs:

http://www.payphone.com/Brass-Mounting-Stud.html

The Brass Mounting Stud allows the payphone to hang on the backplate, pedestal, or other mounting device so that the mounting holes of the payphone are perfectly aligned with the 1/4x20 threads on the mounting device. Once the payphone is hung, the 1/4x20 mounting screws can be easily fastened without the need of holding the heavy payphone in place.
Necessary to use between 2 and 4 per phone.

Be sure to use your cursor to hoover over the mounting details

twocvbloke

Quote from: G-Man on March 28, 2012, 11:18:11 PMBe sure to use your cursor to hoover over the mounting details

I had to.... :D

DAP06850

Thanks G-Man for this and the other awesome information you have provided me through this thread.
I've sent off an email to haralson lock with a link to this thread requesting he
look over the pictures and info and see if a key can be provided.

DavePEI

You know, if you are getting a key for the lock, it is really not at all difficult not only to display it, but to also use it as a regular extension phone, Seems a shame to put it up as a non-working phone when actually making it useable will only take some phone wire, and a nylon tie to make it shoot all coins inserted back into the coin return.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: DAP06850 on March 28, 2012, 05:28:57 PM
It seems I may be able to do both if I could open up the upper housing,
wouldn't the phone swing open enough to shoot bolts through the already attached case into the wall behind it?
The phone won't swing open - after turning the T Key and unlocking it, the base of the upper section will be able to be lifted off.

To open the front housing: Insert the appropriate key either on the top or the side of the front housing and rotate (ordinarily clockwise and about half a turn). If the T-bar is required to open the front housing, now insert the T-bar and rotate (ordinarily counterclockwise and less than a quarter turn). Disconnect the cable that connects the front and rear housing of the payphone and then set the front housing somewhere where its chrome armor plating will not be damaged but that can support its weight.

You will need a pair of security studs - they screw into to the upper two holes on the back of the phone, and then into slots on the mounting board. These make it much easier to mount, as all you need to do is slide the phone into those two slots, and it will hang properly so you can insert the rest of the bolts. If you do decide to wire it up to work, before doing this, feed the wire through your half booth, out the oblong hole, and into the phone via the hole provided in the phone.

Then return the plug to the back, and re-hang the upper section on the phone.  If you wish to have all coins go back to the coin return, carefully and gently  push the relay inwards and make sire it is diverting the coins to the return, then tie it in that position using a nylon wire tie.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

MyDodgeDip

Quote from: DavePEI on March 29, 2012, 07:40:25 AM
You know, if you are getting a key for the lock, it is really not at all difficult not only to display it, but to also use it as a regular phone, Seems a shame to put it up as a non-working phone when actually making it useable will only take some phone wire, and a nylon tie to make it shoot all coins inserted back into the coin return.

Dave

+1

If you get the keys, go all the way with it! 

DAP06850

Well, I e-mailed Jody who refered me to Paul V
I called Paul and spoke to him and it turns out he can not
help me with a key. He says all the single slot phones
had a different key per area code. This particular phone is
area code 203. He didn't know anyone to refer me any further
towards a key.

If I heard correctly he told me to drill it in an x/octagon pattern with a dremel and just keep drilling and drilling and drilling till the lock pops.

Kinda disappointing, I thought I practically had a key in hand, and yes
if I get it open I will go "all the way" and make it a working phone.

DavePEI

If you drill, make sure you thoroughly tape up the area surrounding the lock with duct tape of similar to protect from drill slips.

It is slow work, and not fun, but it will take out the lock. It took me a day and a half to drill out the lock on a Millennium once, but it is a specially hardened lock. Be patient, and have lots of spare bits...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DAP06850

What dremel bits work the best?
Why couldn't I just lock the phone in place on my drill
press and gradually step up the size of the bits till the lock opens.

DavePEI

Quote from: DAP06850 on March 29, 2012, 06:55:28 PM
What dremel bits work the best?
Why couldn't I just lock the phone in place on my drill
press and gradually step up the size of the bits till the lock opens.
That is what I did with the ones I have to open, use my drill press. Perhaps he just assumed you wouldn't have a drill press? Use good Molybdenum bits - I used Moly bits, but still broke a few of them during the process.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DAP06850

I'll exhaust any cheap bits and HSS I've left in the
toolbox and if that's not enough I'll splurge for a set of molys.

DAP06850

Well....Now what?

I've pretty much drilled out the lock and
I have in my possession a T-Key.

But the T-Key won't turn in either the side lock or vault lock.

I can kinda hear the T-key making something move for like a sixteenth of an inch
or so, but it won't turn.

Any suggestions?