News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones I got from Savannah , GA

Started by LM Ericsson, April 11, 2012, 05:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Just one so far. A 1968 AE 80 with numeric number plate for $40.
Regards,
-Grayson

bingster

That's a sharp phone, Grayson.  It should clean up fairly easily.
= DARRIN =

twocvbloke

It's like a GPO706 with a big backside.... :D

Makes me wonder, which came first, the AE80 or the 706, which I'm sure is discussed somewhere in the forum... :D

LM Ericsson

Another phone I got not from Savannah, Ga, but Selma, NC, a town full of antique stores. I got this 1960 ITT 591 which was pretty dirty and needed quite a bit of cleaning. I was planning to sell it on Ebay but the phone looked so good that I decided to keep it for myself!!! By the way, what is the difference between a 500 and 591??? The phone being a 591 was no different than a 500. I got so excited to clean this phone when I got home that I forgot to do a before picture.
Regards,
-Grayson

canuckphoneguy

I love that AE phone - looks great in black! :)

AE_Collector

How many do you need canuckguy?  :)

The numbers only dial plates aren't seen very often on these, at least not aorund here.

Terry

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: AE_collector on April 14, 2012, 12:25:28 PM
How many do you need canuckguy?  :)

The numbers only dial plates aren't seen very often on these, at least not aorund here.

Terry

I don't have any AE phones, except for the AE50 I have hanging on my wall. So, I guess I "need" all of them.  ;D

jsowers

Quote from: LM Ericsson on April 14, 2012, 10:06:40 AM
Another phone I got not from Savannah, Ga, but Selma, NC, a town full of antique stores. I got this 1960 ITT 591 which was pretty dirty and needed quite a bit of cleaning. I was planning to sell it on Ebay but the phone looked so good that I decided to keep it for myself!!! By the way, what is the difference between a 500 and 591??? The phone being a 591 was no different than a 500. I got so excited to clean this phone when I got home that I forgot to do a before picture.

The 591 was a 500 set made without a ringer so the telco could supply whatever frequency ringer was necessary for party lines, etc. That being said, I think this may be a WE 591 base with ITT plastics from the 70s and a standard ringer. In 1960 it was ITT/Kellogg and they didn't mark their phones like that, or at least the ones I have don't have date markings like that on the base and network. Their logo had the "griffin" in it then and only later changed to the plain ITT logo on the handset.

I recognized that area code since I'm from NC. The dividing line for 704 and 919 used to be a few miles from my house and our county was divided between two area codes for about 30 years. That's an odd number card. It reminds me of the old black masked ones, but it's obviously newer than that.
Jonathan

LM Ericsson

Quote from: jsowers on April 14, 2012, 03:37:20 PM

The 591 was a 500 set made without a ringer so the telco could supply whatever frequency ringer was necessary for party lines, etc. That being said, I think this may be a WE 591 base with ITT plastics from the 70s and a standard ringer. In 1960 it was ITT/Kellogg and they didn't mark their phones like that, or at least the ones I have don't have date markings like that on the base and network. Their logo had the "griffin" in it then and only later changed to the plain ITT logo on the handset.

I recognized that area code since I'm from NC. The dividing line for 704 and 919 used to be a few miles from my house and our county was divided between two area codes for about 30 years. That's an odd number card. It reminds me of the old black masked ones, but it's obviously newer than that.
I actually redid the number card to make it look nicer. The original one is under it.
Regards,
-Grayson

LM Ericsson

Well I got the AE80 done and it looks absolutely great! What do you guys think about the number card I created for this phone???
Regards,
-Grayson

old_stuff_hound

Great phones, and "Hello!" from 919-land...  ;-)

gpo706

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 12, 2012, 02:53:15 PM
It's like a GPO706 with a big backside.... :D

Makes me wonder, which came first, the AE80 or the 706, which I'm sure is discussed somewhere in the forum... :D

Hit that on the head, very similar, I like the look of these - need to get one at some point, just to compare with my 500's.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Seeing the finished pics from all angles, its like a 706 with a WE handset and "bustle" or fat arse if you like.

Nice job AE, and LM!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"