News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does ANYBODY support pulse dialing anymore?

Started by Devansphones, December 05, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devansphones

(If this is in the wrong category, I will gladly move it.)

Guys!?!? I recently moved to a new apartment, didn't have telephone service in the old place for a long while... Anyhow, I've been shopping around, and all of these companies claim they don't support pulse dialing. I'm antsy, especially because I've got about 2 jacks in each room at the new place... But just can't find anyone who supports pulse. I'm not looking forward to buying converters for each telephone if I have to buy digital service. I'm in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Anyone got any ideas?
~Devan

Pourme

Devan,

We feel your pain. Many of us here over the years have found ourselves in the same predicament. Someone here may be able to help you as to what service will support pulse dialing in your area. One remedy you may want to consider is a Panasonic PBX. Think of it as a system that would have been in a office environment in the 70's & 80's. The 616 can handle 6 incoming lines and 16 "extension" lines. Each line can handle 3 or 4 phones (can't remember). Each phone can dial each other or dial 9 to access the outside line.

Good news is they can be found on EBAY cheap. I have a 308, (3 incoming & 8 extensions) and a 616, I paid about $35 each for them. You should be able to access your existing wiring for this. I use Majic jack for my service, also cheap. Most any service can be used.

Here is one thread of many on the forum discussing the 616, there are many more to read, just search
panasonic 616".

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10437.msg110896#msg110896

Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

I am currently using POTS from TalkAmerica Services, and it still (happily) supports pulse dialing.  I specifically asked about it before signing up for the service.

Larry

poplar1

Quote from: Devansphones on December 05, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

I'm not looking forward to buying converters for each telephone if I have to buy digital service.

You would need a maximum of one converter for all phones on the same line.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Fleetcmat

Hi Devan, I am 20 miles east of Akron and I have AT&T copper and it still supports dial service. Have you contacted AT&T? John

SUnset2

Out here in Washington state, I was on POTS from Century Link until a few months ago, when I got talked into upgrading to fiber.  Rotary dialing still works great on their fiber system.  The only problem is that they are doing an overlay, and made 10 digit dialing mandatory on all calls.

Russ Kirk

Frontier FIOS, formerly Verizon FIOS, support pulse dialing in California.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Ed Morris

If you have Verizon in your area, their fiber telephone service supports pulse dialing.  However, don't get the VOIP telephone service that comes with an internet and cable package.

Ed

TelePlay

Quote from: Ed Morris on December 06, 2017, 11:51:27 PM
If you have Verizon in your area, their fiber telephone service supports pulse dialing.  However, don't get the VOIP telephone service that comes with an internet and cable package.

AT&T fiber to box and copper from box to home supported pulse dialing but at $45 a month plus never using my landline, I switched to U-Verse VOIP in south eastern Wisconsin for $10 a month and it does not support pulse dialing. Some may but AT&T does not.

AE_Collector

I would suspect that most traditional POTS service would still support DP or at least be capable of it even if they choose to disable it. But with any sort of cable or fibre based phone service it comes down to the Analog to Digital converter boxes used. To the best of my knowledge here in BC all service (switched network or fibre based) from Telus (incumbent) as well as Shaw (CATV provider) support Dial Pulse.

Terry

HarrySmith

Quote from: TelePlay on December 07, 2017, 09:18:43 AM
AT&T fiber to box and copper from box to home supported pulse dialing but at $45 a month plus never using my landline, I switched to U-Verse VOIP in south eastern Wisconsin for $10 a month and it does not support pulse dialing. Some may but AT&T does not.

I had the same thing happen here in South Florida. I had a land line with AT&T for years at around $12.00 a month. Suddenly it was $45.00! We got U-Verse for internet & TV. I no longer have a home phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 07, 2017, 10:29:03 AM
I would suspect that most traditional POTS service would still support DP or at least be capable of it even if they choose to disable it. But with any sort of cable or fibre based phone service it comes down to the Analog to Digital converter boxes used. To the best of my knowledge here in BC all service (switched network or fibre base) from Telus (incumbent) as well as Shaw (CATV provider) support Dial Pulse.

Terry

Unfortunately, non-POTS providers have been able to steam-roller over the traditional POTS guys with a lower-cost model.  Particularly when VoIP providers bundle it with cable and Internet and provide low or no-cost long distance, if there is such a term as "long distance" any more.

I cut the POTS connection about 15 years ago when I first heard of Vonage.  Fortunately, they supported pulse dialing.  Then, due to another deal with my cable provider, Spectrum, formerly Charter, they are my "land line" provider now, and they too support rotary.  The installer told me at the time that Charter bought a legacy POTS provider and as a result, they were required in the deal to provide rotary support.

Now, even though I have VoIP service through Charter, I also got a number from Google Voice and configured a Grandstream router to get rotary support through that.  That was a pretty cool deal.  I paid nothing or next to nothing for the number (seems like it didn't cost me a thing).  I seem to remember that I paid $20 for the router and only a couple bucks (Less than $5, one time fee) for the connection for the Grandstream.  That option seems to be the best priced deal out there, other than C-Net.
-Bill G

MMikeJBenN27

Yes!  The REGULAR phone company still does!