News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bargain WE 500T?

Started by magicbrain, November 27, 2019, 01:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I replace the F1 handset on this 500T with a G1?

Yes
10 (90.9%)
No
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 31, 2020, 10:12:03 AM

magicbrain

I won this auction for what appears to be an WE 500T with a 7A dial, small font operator bezel & the date stamp at the front edge of the base.
I first thought it was just another 5302, as it has a F1 receiver, but I went though the pictures anyway & seeing the 500 type base I placed a bid & got it for a low price.
It will be interesting to see what exactly it is once it arrives.
eBay Auction:
https://tinyurl.com/tj3leam

Bruce

LarryInMichigan

It looks like you snagged a nice deal.

Larry

Babybearjs

mismatched parts are always a bargain!
John

oldguy

Congratulations, it will be fun to see what's inside.
Gary

Jim Stettler

From Paul F's site:
http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm
Text is from Paul's page
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early single line w/ 425A net, no equalizer, but terminal block for handset leads.

Use was limited to zones distant from the Central Office, where the attenuating characteristics of the equalizer in the 500 set was not needed.  This was a cost saving measure.

Note: There were no seperate model numbers for manual and dial versions.

Photos http://www.paul-f.com/we500t.htm

Replaced by the 500J and 500K.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

What is the date below the T 500. I assume it's X-50.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

MMikeJBenN27

You got a deal, as early 500s with the 425A network are rare, as most were converted by Ma Bell, and not many were made to begin with.

Dan/Panther

can you remove the shell and post some photos, and post the date on the bottom.
That's a fairly rare phone. WE NEED PHOTOS.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

I think this phone may have a 1951 date on it.  Someone replaced the G-1 handset with an F-1 to reduce side tone.

magicbrain

Ok, Finally an update & pictures- It is a 3/51 500T with matching date shell, network, ringer & D3BB line cord.
The 7A dial is dated a month earlier, the F1 handset is undated and curled cord is a generic replacement.

Bruce

magicbrain

Few more pictures.

Bruce

Jim Stettler

Very nice, clean early 1951 set. To bad the handset was replaced, even so, it is a very nice set.
You did well.
JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: magicbrain on December 29, 2019, 02:52:59 PM
Few more pictures.

Are these images on your two posts above via an outside link? All I can see are little blue squares with a question mark in them. If linked, could you add images directly to your posts via crpf?

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

Unless it is circa 1944, the F1 handle should have a date or date code. Unscrew the receiver cap and look for a 2- or 3-digit number at the top of the handle. For example "89" would be 8-39 (solid handle) or 8-49 (hollow handle). "101" would be 10-41 or 10-51.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

magicbrain

Quote from: poplar1 on December 29, 2019, 05:54:10 PM
Unless it is circa 1944, the F1 handle should have a date or date code. Unscrew the receiver cap and look for a 2- or 3-digit number at the top of the handle. For example "89" would be 8-39 (solid handle) or 8-49 (hollow handle). "101" would be 10-41 or 10-51.at

The caps & "Fungus Treatment" marked receiver element are undated - The grooved hollow type handset has a partial "01" at top end with the "Manufactured By" style marking, so WWII surplus maybe?

Bruce