News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French 1924 Column phone (PTT24)

Started by FABphones, August 05, 2018, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Edit: Work on this phone is coming along nicely. Below, updates on it's progress for anyone who might wish to do something similar in the future.

Photo -  Inside base. Screw to internal shaft removed.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Photo of phone exterior. I've tried unscrewing the top, it's unmoveable at the moment, was hoping for a few tips on how to get into it... Have sprayed WD40, still set fast. As I understand it, the bottom screw is removed and the internals then lifted out from the top.

Meanwhile I've had some luck with the dial which was siezed (photo 2). It's gone from siezed to squeeky to a nice whirrrrrr. Only the one turn to reset itself (photo 3). Timing pretty good too. Very pleased. I like working on dials.

As you can see, still a long way to go with the refurb... Am considering sending some parts off for chroming. When I can get them apart...  :o

LarryInMichigan

That, I believe was officially called a "PTT24" and for whatever reason is called a "Dumpy" phone by collectors.  They have been discussed on this forum before, but I do not recall anyone discussing dismantling one.

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 05, 2018, 08:04:53 PM
That, I believe was officially called a "PTT24"...
...They have been discussed on this forum before, but I do not recall anyone discussing dismantling one.

Larry

Yes, it's a PTT24, this is my second, my other is in very nice condition but I fancied having one to restore and so this one found me. It supposedly sat on display in a Paris apartment (I have pics of it doing so), but it smelt of oil, so I suspect it was also forgotten for quite some time in a Paris basement.

As it turns out I'm quite glad no-one has dismantled one of these and written about it on this forum - it's nice to contribute a 'first'. :D

So, here we go - update - I finally managed to get the cap off. I left it overnight with an extra squirt of WD40. For anyone trying this in the future, they don't screw off. Turn the column upside down and tap it off.

I've had a couple of quotes in for chroming but to any UK members, if you can recommend any platers please let me know. Leadtimes are long from those I've contacted, am reading pretty bad reviews about lost items, poor quality work etc and a recommendation would be good.

*If I can't find a good chrome plater, I'll be most likely be plating it myself via a kit.

Photo below.

FABphones

Photo of the phone now broken down into several components. Ready for the next stage of the restoration.

Pourme

That's going to be a very interesting piece when you get it restored....Thanks for sharing as you go!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

I have always liked the way the European phones have the wiring ends wrapped up, very neat.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Pic 1 - Cradle and column cap, screw assembly.
Pic 2 - Column cap before and after: 000/Brasso, finished with Polishing Paste #5.

david@london

fabphones -

very nice. really interesting to see the refurb on this lovely old french telephone.

may i be a bit inquisitive and ask where you obtain your various french phones?
in france i'm thinking?

brocantes?

i have recently developed a hankering after an ivory U43...........it's only a matter of time.

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on August 08, 2018, 10:10:53 AM
fabphones -

very nice. really interesting to see the refurb on this lovely old french telephone.

may i be a bit inquisitive and ask where you obtain your various french phones?
in france i'm thinking?

brocantes?

i have recently developed a hankering after an ivory U43...........it's only a matter of time.

Hi. Thanks, I'm glad it's interesting to follow as I'm loving finding and working on these poor old 'vendu dans son jus' phones. Yes, in France. Brocantes, Vide Greniers, private sellers...

This one from Paris. I'm due another visit there shortly, bit too hot now for mooching around vast city vendeurs.  8)

I have another model which I'm keeping under my hat for the moment. Just one more to find then I can reveal all.

:)

FABphones

Today I've made a start on the handset and listener. This handset is very grubby, in particular the mouthpiece and it was harder than usual to remove (what I think is) the nicotine crust and white bloom. I'm getting to know the feel of Bakelite quite well now, this one not the nicest quality I've handled, but is in very good condition, no damage.

Easy enough to get the endcap off the mouthpiece, just three small screws to remove. Earpiece endcap unscrews, as does the listener.

My usual treatment is underway for these Bakelite pieces: Anti-Bac Clean (inside and out), 000/Brasso, '3 Day Mineral Oil Beauty Treatment'.

ETA - The imprint to centre of handset appears to be a Clover leaf.

'Before' Photos:

david@london

Quote from: FabPhones on August 08, 2018, 11:59:48 AM
Hi. Thanks, I'm glad it's interesting to follow as I'm loving finding and working on these poor old 'vendu dans son jus' phones. Yes, in France. Brocantes, Vide Greniers, private sellers...

thanks........i didn't think somehow that these phones were found in the UK.

i very much like the expression 'vendu dans son jus' for 'sold in unrestored condition', but i imagine meaning literally 'sold in its own juice (or gravy)'?  or would it be connected with cars or machinery.........sold in its own oil/without an oil change?

very good language, french.

HarrySmith

That was pretty nasty! I hope nobody was putting thier mouth near that thing! Nice cleanup, as usual.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Well, I guess it had to happen sometime. My first ever 'oh no' moment.
Shame, it looked quite good before I put it in the oven.

Not quite sure what went wrong. I thought I had sanded it down well enough, I thought I had applied the paint in thin enough applications.  :-[

On the bright side ::), where it wasn't blistered (!) the depth of shine was deep enough to lose yourself in.  8)

So. Sandpaper at the ready, here I go again...

Photo:

FABphones

Swotting up ( as I am wont to do  ;D ) re my blistered paint result, I came across this article. Quite good info there so thought I'd share:

https://www.paintsquare.com/library/articles/Trouble_with_Paint__Blistering_of_Paint_Films_on_Metal_Part_1__Osmotic_Blistering.pdf