"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 09:25:31 AM
Based on previous comments I *believe* that I change the default theme settings to show posts in the order of first -> last which is apparently how the old theme handled them.

I *believe* that I also removed the default setting of "Quick Reply" for post replies as well.

Let me know.

Went into the auction contest section to find the default sort order is newest first.

As noted in Dave's post, it can be changed to newest last by unchecking the box shown at the bottom of this screen shot, which can be found in individual user profile setting. Unchecked the box, saved the changes and my view is back to the sort order we were used to seeing.

david@london

Quote from: Bridie on December 22, 2013, 09:18:21 AM
Many thanks for creating and maintaining this forum - it's been a huge source of assistance for me.

i agree with bridget 100%........& the new look is great.

functionally, once i'd reversed the order of posts by unchecking the box on the profile area, everything's hunky dory.
i'm noticing that quite a few photographs are cut off on the right-hand side......quite noticeable here, on the second page .............

edit........ignore that about the photos, i had my monitor zoomed in a bit too much

Dave Zemens

@david@london:  Weird. Those photos look perfectly fine to me.
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

Phonesrfun

I have always preferred the most recent posts to be at the top, so I don't have to scroll down, down, down on long threads.

-Bill G

Bill

Quick check. Looking for the old "Charter Member" avatar showing the 302. Are these avatars gone? Can we (I) get them back?

[And there it is! I'm happy - I really liked that one.]

Bill

Dennis Markham

First and foremost I would like to publicly thank Dave (Zemens) for all of his hard work on this software upgrade.  He worked late into last night and was at it early this morning....and with Christmas knocking at the door.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It looks great.  Yes, things appear different but it's cleaner now for the most part.  Changes are often a tough pill to swallow.  For me too.  Right now I miss the little Model 302's that light up indicating new messages.  Perhaps we can later get that working again....or maybe a time to change to a different icon for that.

I want to spend some time using the Forum in its current form and see how things are going.  I would like to get the e-mail notification system working again.  That would be huge.  Not only from a personal stand-point but from a moderation stand-point too.  That system allows users to get an automatic response when their password is forgotten.  Now if someone has to click that forgotten password link they must e-mail me so I can manually go in and make a temporary password for them.  They then log in with the temporary password and then change it to whatever they want.  The server had shut down the Forum because of spambot computer registrations.  A compromise was to disable e-mail (temporarily) so that the forum could be used.

Thank you to everyone for their input as well.  As Dave suggested, just make a post here if you find things that appear to be glitches.  As far as your personal settings, you can take care of that individually in your account settings area.  I prefer to have the newest message at the top.  Tomato-tomato.

Thank you, Dave!

Bill

The page that lists all the posts in any given forum has a bunch of icons, some only subtly different from others, whose meaning is (at least to me) not obvious. Somewhere I'm sure there is a list of icons, but I can't find it. Anyone?

Bill

Dave Zemens

@Bill: If I understand which icons you are referring to correctly I think if you scroll to the footer of the page you are on there is a list of icons and definitions on the left side of the footer.
Dave Zemens

david@london

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 11:37:08 AM
@david@london:  Weird. Those photos look perfectly fine to me.

dave-
apologies, it was me......i had my monitor setting zoomed in to 175%. at 125% it's fine.

Bill

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 12:35:08 PM
@Bill: If I understand which icons you are referring to correctly I think if you scroll to the footer of the page you are on there is a list of icons and definitions on the left side of the footer.
Well, I feel dumb! I got so involved in trying to find the list in the FAQ that I never got to the bottom of the page.

Many thanks.

Bill

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on December 22, 2013, 11:30:47 AM
Many thanks for creating and maintaining this forum - it's been a huge source of assistance for me.

i'm noticing that quite a few photographs are cut off on the right-hand side......quite noticeable here, on the second page .............

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10406.msg114792#new

Well, I see only half of the avatars and half of the pictures. If I click on the jpg link below the picture box, the photo opens up in my image software so it seems to be there. The pdf of that screen from the link above is attached.

HarrySmith

Quote from: TelePlay on December 22, 2013, 01:00:34 PM
Quote from: david@london on December 22, 2013, 11:30:47 AM

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10406.msg114792#new

Well, I see only half of the avatars and half of the pictures. If I click on the jpg link below the picture box, the photo opens up in my image software so it seems to be there. The pdf of that screen from the link above is attached.
I am getting the same thing. Already cleared browser cache and reloaded page, same thing.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 22, 2013, 11:53:26 AM
I have always preferred the most recent posts to be at the top, so I don't have to scroll down, down, down on long threads.

After using the site for several years by going to the last page and scrolling down to find the newest post, I discovered that the little red "new" button next to the topic on the "unread" page would take me there, to the newest post, with one click on the red button. I can't believe I didn't know that or try that earlier.

Dave Zemens

The first thing everyone needs to remember is that we all have individual control over our web browser. It's possible to make the font larger, the images larger and the over all layout of the browser larger. In other words, we all have the ability to break just about any website by increasing the sizes of things in our browser. This is done through the preferences of the individual browser and has nothing to do with this forum.

As noted by one of the other folks who commented earlier about photos being "too large", he later found that he had increased the size of his viewport within his web browser and that was the cause of the problem.

Dave Zemens

Dave Zemens

@TelePlay: This theme is a lot cleaner than the last one, so it was easier for you to learn that new technique!
Dave Zemens