and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Introducing myself and my telephones

Started by ritchie, November 02, 2010, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Quote from: stub1953 on November 02, 2010, 11:41:05 PM
Terry,
         And I think I still have your address, just let me know when you plan to visit ritchie !!! ::) ::)   Sorry I forgot, the one I have is  in the States.            stub

Stub:
On your way to Terry's, please stop by. You have my address.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

ritchie

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 03, 2010, 12:00:53 AM

Terry:
It looks brown from here.

Oh yes, it's brown.

At first I thought it was a UV damaged black one but it's brown inside too, then I learned from this forum that some were made in brown.

JorgeAmely

Congratulations on joining the forum ... and for bagging a very elusive AE34 in brown bakelite.
Jorge

stub

Jorge,
         Thanks for the invite ,but I think I'll just have to set around here in Tennessee.

ritchie - Great find !!!! Bragg all you want !!!!! WE would!!!!!!!!!       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ritchie

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 03, 2010, 12:07:47 AM
Congratulations on joining the forum ... and for bagging a very elusive AE34 in brown bakelite.

Thanks, I'm going to carefully clean it now as it's got paint splatters on it from someone's decorating exploits in the distant past. Fortunately, there's lots of good info here on these forums.

Kenny C

how did i miss this thread

BTW  ken. I almost rolled your yard 2 weeks ago
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 03, 2010, 12:00:53 AM
Terry:
It looks brown from here.

Well that clinches it....under the bright California sun it looks brown to Jorge as well so that's a wrap! I guess we should try to figure out if it is Mahogany or Walnut. I've never really figured out which is which. I would assume that Walnut would be darker than Mahogany?

It's a beauty isn't it Jorge!

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on November 03, 2010, 12:23:59 AM

BTW  ken. I almost rolled your yard 2 weeks ago

Learning to drive Kenny??? ;D

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: ritchie on November 03, 2010, 12:11:33 AM

Thanks, I'm going to carefully clean it now as it's got paint splatters on it from someone's decorating exploits in the distant past. Fortunately, there's lots of good info here on these forums.

Oven cleaner is one way to remove paint speckles from bakelite. However, I used it on a mahogany NE Uniphone once and it seemed to take the shine off of the bakelite.

What does everyone else have to say about removing paint on this phone?

Terry

Kenny C

I was with friends and they knew where Ken lives and i didn't but we decided not too. We knew you would be too tired getting back from the mountains.

Quote from: ae_collector on November 03, 2010, 12:41:56 AM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on November 03, 2010, 12:23:59 AM

BTW Ken. I almost rolled your yard 2 weeks ago

Learning to drive Kenny??? ;D

Terry

We got a Chevy a few months ago and I haven't drove it yet its longer than our Chrysler its a traverse
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

It is just like this one

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

ritchie

I'm going to wait till I get more experience with Bakelite before I tackle it. I'm not in a hurry, the paint has been there a long time, I guess it wont hurt being on a little longer.

I can take a pic of the phone in natural light without a flash If that helps the Mahogany/Walnut question.

stub

Kenny,
          I don't think you've met my two dogs!!!!!

ritchie - By all means take your time and read thru the info here.
            I would use a soft cloth and Novus # 2. A lot of times the paint specks can be remove with your fingernail....  Later.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

mienaichizu

hi there, welcome to the forum
your phones are nice especially the AE34, a real eye catcher

bingster

Quote from: ritchie on November 03, 2010, 12:49:49 AM
I'm going to wait till I get more experience with Bakelite before I tackle it. I'm not in a hurry, the paint has been there a long time, I guess it wont hurt being on a little longer.

That's very sensible and caution should rule the day with cleaning.  Harsh cleaners will damage bakelite, and once the shine is gone, it's nearly impossible to get it back.  I find most paint specks can be removed by simply soaking the area with warm water to soften the paint, and gently scraping it away with a fingernail.  
= DARRIN =