News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lineman Test Set Project

Started by DentonRotary, September 21, 2014, 10:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DentonRotary

I just bought a WE/Bell Lineman test set (blue rotary) and want to try to hook it up as a house phone with a really long cord on it (about 100 feet).

I found this conversion gizmo that I hope will help?
http://www.phonegeeks.com/repmodtesadc.html

I'd also like to hook up multiple old landline phones. At the moment I have a single jack. Will I need to install more jacks to add phones in other rooms? I don't specifically need extra phone numbers or the ability to talk on more than one phone at a time to different people, just multiple working handsets in different rooms.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to accomplish this, they would be greatly appreciated! I am still learning.

rp2813

That "Modapt" is kind of pricey.  You could probably rig something yourself.

If you want to connect multiple phones (the Bell System term was "extension" phones) you'll need to wire jacks for them.  You can run them off the existing jack.  It's your choice on how to do it:  1) Permanently with "category 5" telephone wire, run through the crawlspace or discreetly along baseboards,  or 2)  Using modular cording with couplers and duplexers strung where you want off the existing jack -- the more unsightly and easily compromised option, but I've done it for multiple phones in the same room.
Ralph