and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who wants to be on C*NET?

Started by bellsystemproperty, April 02, 2010, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: VintageTR on January 22, 2015, 10:17:53 AM
Quote from: gpo706 on July 18, 2010, 12:50:38 PM
Righty, found that "Linksys RTP300 BROADBAND Router VOIP 2 phone" on the bay same seller - refurbed.

So if I spend my last £20 on it, do I plug into my Pana 616 through a RJ11 to BT PSTN and thats my C-NET link on CO line 2?

I'm a bit intolerant when it comes to computer thingys.

I've also registered for C-NET so waiting for the email.

(I know how work email)!
Am I the only one who find post like this gibberish, is there anywhere that explains the acronyms used in this forum. it might as well be written in swahili, whats an ata i'm sure i know  by some other name

Welcome!
Well, you are right.  You have to be selective in what you read when you are getting started.
You have to be a bit tolerant when it comes to computer thingys. :o
It may take some effort to filter things out a bit.
There are other posts on this forum and the World Wide Web that are more reader friendly.

PS: there are many posts on the forum that deal with analog telephone adapters (ATAs).
Example:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13368.msg139958#msg139958  disguised under another topic name.

Fabius

[/quote]
Am I the only one who find post like this gibberish, is there anywhere that explains the acronyms used in this forum. it might as well be written in swahili, whats an ata i'm sure i know  by some other name
[/quote]

Nakubaliana na hilo. Wewe kuleta up wasiwasi halali
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Mr. Bones

VintageTR,

There is, indeed, a list of acronyms available here on this forum, thanks to Harry Smith.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11316.msg120925#msg120925

I found it by searching the forum for "acronym list" ;)

I hope this helps, and by all means, please feel free to ask questions.

Best regards!

PS: Stop that, John Tom! You nearly made Guinness come out of my nostrils!!! ;D ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

I am now on C-NET. My numbers are1-821-9905 and 1-821-9906. Those of you on C-NERT fell free to call me so I can make sure incoming call function.(at reasonable times). Right now I have a desktop payphone on one line and a modern TT phone on the other. The payphone receives calls but can't call out because it is only programed for 7 digit dialing. I plan to hook up both lines to my Panasonic 616 but I've run out of line cords. Eventually I'd like to hook up something "cool" to one of the lines, such as a recording or a live feed of some kind.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on January 28, 2015, 11:27:08 AM
I am now on C-NET. My numbers are1-821-9905 and 1-821-9906. Those of you on C-NERT fell free to call me so I can make sure incoming call function.(at reasonable times). Right now I have a desktop payphone on one line and a modern TT phone on the other. The payphone receives calls but can't call out because it is only programed for 7 digit dialing. I plan to hook up both lines to my Panasonic 616 but I've run out of line cords. Eventually I'd like to hook up something "cool" to one of the lines, such as a recording or a live feed of some kind.

Just hung up from talking with Tom via C-NET.  I dialed in manually since I'm not on C-NET, worked fine.  I like that recording that says "C-NET gateway operated by the covert organization, dial country code and number" followed by an old-fashioned buzz-style dial tone.  So if it's a "covert organization", by saying it's "covert", doesn't that blow their cover?

So if you're set up on C-NET, is the phone dedicated to C-NET for incoming calls?  Wouldn't be much fun if C-NET incoming calls were lumped in with all the rest.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Just hung up from talking with Tom (Fabius) via C-NET.  I dialed in manually since I'm not on C-NET, worked fine.  I like that recording that says "C-NET gateway operated by the covert organization, dial country code and number" followed by an old-fashioned buzz-style dial tone.  So if it's a "covert organization", by saying it's "covert", doesn't that blow their cover?
[/quote]

The number to call to access C-NET from an outside telephone is: 
(206) 203-6610
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

andre_janew

Thanks to Mr. Bones and the link he provided I now know what POTS is.  I never knew what it stood for until today!

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on January 28, 2015, 03:48:38 PM

The number to call to access C-NET from an outside telephone is: 
(206) 203-6610

That's one of them.  Since that number is local for me, I dialed it, got the "covert" message, then dialed your number.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

QuoteSo if it's a "covert organization", by saying it's "covert", doesn't that blow their cover?

Nah. Perfect cover. Nobody would ever believe that a real covert op would post anything so stupid on their voxmail, so it is immediately dismissed as a ruse. ;)

Hiding in plain sight is often the best strategy.

I hope to join you all soon on C*NET... gotta get an ATA here PDQ...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

compubit

Well, it's time for me to get started.

So far:
I have built an Asterisk/FreePBX server on a Raspberry Pi (no cost to me, as I had them already, but new would have been about $35 for the Pi, $5 for the memory card, $5 for the power supply, and $10 for the case. Any SD card over 4GB will work (I had an 8GB, but are fairly cheap at the local MicroCenter), using an old cell phone charger for the power supply (but can often find 1A chargers on sale for $5), case can be as extravagant as desired, or very basic (or none at all). Software is downloaded from the web, did the configuration over two evenings and for ~$50 and a couple of hours, Ihave a PBX on my network

I just received the Grandstream HT702 ATA off of Amazon today, and have it connected to the Asterisk Server and am able to call the other extensions I have setup (2 softphones - free apps - and 2 landline phones). Note that the HT702 does NOT support rotary dialing, even though advertised on Amazon as supporting it (guess I should have double checked before purchasing). Regardless, it should easily work with my Panasonic KX-TA624 system (which does the Pulse to Touch Tone conversion).

Now I need to get connected to C*Net - have my block reserves, just not quite sure what to do next...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Phonesrfun

I went the easier route of getting an ATA that runs off someone else's server.  If you have reserved a block, then you have undoubtedly been to the ckts.info website.  I know the website can be pretty technical and not easy to follow.  There is a listserv that has a lot of techies on it at voip@ckts.info

Other than that, there are several here on this forum that can give you some help, so you've done the right thing by posting a call for help.
-Bill G

unbeldi

Quote from: compubit on January 31, 2015, 04:42:16 PM
Well, it's time for me to get started.

So far:
I have built an Asterisk/FreePBX server on a Raspberry Pi (no cost to me, as I had them already, but new would have been about $35 for the Pi, $5 for the memory card, $5 for the power supply, and $10 for the case. Any SD card over 4GB will work (I had an 8GB, but are fairly cheap at the local MicroCenter), using an old cell phone charger for the power supply (but can often find 1A chargers on sale for $5), case can be as extravagant as desired, or very basic (or none at all). Software is downloaded from the web, did the configuration over two evenings and for ~$50 and a couple of hours, Ihave a PBX on my network

I just received the Grandstream HT702 ATA off of Amazon today, and have it connected to the Asterisk Server and am able to call the other extensions I have setup (2 softphones - free apps - and 2 landline phones). Note that the HT702 does NOT support rotary dialing, even though advertised on Amazon as supporting it (guess I should have double checked before purchasing). Regardless, it should easily work with my Panasonic KX-TA624 system (which does the Pulse to Touch Tone conversion).

Now I need to get connected to C*Net - have my block reserves, just not quite sure what to do next...

Jim

A Raspberry Pi is a perfectly adequate platform for a C*Net node, unless one really wants to connect hardware devices, such a T1 card to a channel bank, or directly connected analog ports.

None of the Grandstream ATA were ever advertised for supporting dial pulse.  Not even the HT502, on which it does work.  I haven't opened a 702 to see if it has the same SLIC as the 502, perhaps they found something cheaper for that model.  Chipsets that support DP decoding are getting scarce, and while it could be done in software, that takes precious space in PROMS, which are being crammed with other "features". It's not a priority to support a feature that almost no one uses.

But there are still plenty of 502s out there, sometime batches of dozens of them show up on eBay, even hundreds.  The HT502 also supports DP decoding after call setup, during a call, but only when the SIP INFO method is configured for digit signaling to the SIP server, Asterisk in this case. Asterisk automatically translates these messages into DTMF whenever they are sent.

Tech&Music

I find C*NET to be really intriguing! I was already thinking of somehow setting up a PBX to connect my phones to a modern network, but I didn't come past C*NET until now!  Basically I have some rack stuff (Dell PowerEdge 2650 server, HP ProCurve Network Switch and some emptied fiber switches that would fit about 4 to 6 Pis easily), and I plan on deploying multiple Pis for multiple purposes, an email server, a webserver, an low power FM transmitter for playing music on old radios, and an Asterisk PBX. I'd still use my Gigaset One (XLink) for one phone on my desk, as a personal phone line, and then the other phone for the PBX line. C*NET seems to be a good option! I'd like to ring up and be rung up by fellow collectors, maybe have a good chat about phones and other things. Definitely going to try it if I get the right gear. Probably will go for some cheap used Pis, instead of brand new ones (is cheaper and they function just as well). I saw a Grandstream HT-502 on Marktplaats for 35 euros, maybe I can try to haggle a bit. Those work with pulse dialing, right?
I do Network Administration at college, so this fits right in with it.  I could document everything too, as my college allows us to present things we do ourselves if it is related to our studies. Add a good presentation and I should be able to score up some extra study points!

compubit

Daniël-

It sounds like you have a plan!

The HT-502'do work with dial pulse - just be sure the ATA isn't locked to a particular VoIP provider (such as the BasicTalk ATA, which is a Grandstream HT-701 with customized firmware - which can be overwritten provided  it hasn't upgraded/communicated with the BasicTalk servers - the HT-701, though, doesn't support dial pulse).

Keep us informed on the connection - i haven't touched mine in a while - so I need to add that back onto the list...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Fabius

Quote from: Daniël Oosterhuis on October 22, 2015, 08:01:54 AM
I find C*NET to be really intriguing!

I do Network Administration at college, so this fits right in with it.  I could document everything too, as my college allows us to present things we do ourselves if it is related to our studies. Add a good presentation and I should be able to score up some extra study points!

Let us know when your system is on line. Feel free to give me a call on my C*NET number below. My C*NET serves is a central office line input to my Panasonic KX-T61610 PBX which in turn reaches the outside world by VOIP.

I am retired from Verizon (a major land line and cellular phone company) where I was a supervisor of network operations.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905