News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericofons

Started by andy1702, March 03, 2017, 02:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

I had another E-bay win the other day. It's basically 5 complete Ericofon's and 2 shells.

I don't know mich about Erocofons really, hence this post. I've had a look at the Ericofon website and from that I've managed to get two of them working. Of the other three, two need some soldering doing to re-attach various things and one just refuses to work other than the buzzer (dial does nothing and it doesn't pick up a call.) I took some photos of the inside of the non-working but complete one and I suspect the problem is dirty contacts. It's all very tarnished inside.

The main things I'm trying to work out are their age and which system they originated on. They're not from the UK because the GPO didn't do all these different colours. I don't think they're from the US either because they dont have any white numbers inside them which the Ericofon site says US models would have. They are also all made in Sweden.

I've read lots of stuff saying Ericofons often don't have any ringing mechanism, but these all have buzzers (the round thing on the top of the chassis with a screw in the top.)

Any info greatfully received.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

andy1702

More photos of the chassis.

HarrySmith

Nice collection! It does appear there are some wiring issues on the one you posted inside pictures of. Let me start by saying I know nothing about these, that is the fist time I am seeing the inside of one. It appears several of the spade lugs are touching other metal parts of the phone which can be a problem and at least one wire has no spade, just wrapped around the screw, could be a bad connection.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andy1702

Hi Harry,

I should have said in my previous post that this is the set I've been messing with in an attempt to get it working. The red wire without the spades is a jumper I was told to add in the instructions at the Ericofon site to make these phones work on a two wire system (originally they had 3 but not the three I was expecting!) This mod does work because I've got the two red ones working using it.

This particular phone now rings (buzzes) and the mic works ok. The speaker in the earpiece is just about audible so it looks like that needs changing. It will also go off hook ok now.

What still doesn't work at all is the dial. So I guess there are contacts that must be so filthy they are not conducting when closed.

I'll investigate connections tohching as you suggested, but I think that might be a trick of the photos. I didn't notice anything touching when I was looking at it. I'll double check though.

Next challenge is how to get the speaker out of the top. I need to remove the receiver cap, which is glued on.

Andy.

HarrySmith

IIRC there was a discussion here not long ago about taking those apart. A search should pull it up.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"