News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A couple questions for you military phone buffs

Started by RB, January 13, 2019, 07:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have been lookin at an EE-8 Schematic, tryin to find out the difference between the LB, And CB adjuster.
I see the EXACT same phone in both applications.
The only difference I can see, is that in LB operation, there is no ringer cap in line.
Now, on the CB side, the only difference, is the addition of an optional HOLD coil which can be placed across the line, by holding down a switch.
Question : why would you want to put a coil across the line? Is that actually how phones place a call on hold?
Why would you wish to do that in a combat situation?
"Hang on a minute, sarge... I gotta pee. I'll be right back."
They are on the line with you already, their not goin anywhere??? just set the phone down...
Question : What makes this phone any different than any other LB phone?
And how is this one compatible with BOTH LB, AND CB phones?

compubit

I'm not sure of the specifics on the hold circuit, since I'm not looking at the schematic.

As for why you'd want to place the phone on hold: it's about operational security. For the sample, if one side needed to discuss something classified, you may not want the other party to hear that part, and definitely don't want Comrade Mikhail (who's probably also listening on the line) to hear the classified info.  Likewise, you may not want to hang up and call the guy back, as there may not be an available circuit...

(Also, please don't harass me for selecting Comrade Mikhail as my example - it's just easier to poke fun an adversary from a no longer existent group: USSR...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

rdelius

You need the holding coil to stay off hook when in CB. The ringer capacator is needed to prevent the line from being seized when hung up when in CB

RB

Thanks for the replys.
So... when the phone is connected in CB mode, the hold coil needs to be across L1 and L2
Along with the ind coil, and rec, to keep the line from dropping?