News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telemania Duck decoy phone

Started by Butch Harlow, January 26, 2019, 11:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

In my quest to accumulate all the phones from my childhood, I have finally gotten a working duck decoy phone. When my dad brought home the original back in the 1980's it immediately became the favorite with its duck quacking ringer and super creepy red glowing eyes. It brought many a laugh to everyone who would visit. Unfortunately the seller sent it poorly packed and he suffered a broken beak. Thankfully I am a carpenter and its wood. It has been glued, later it will be sanded and repainted. In all, it's a minor repair. Most of the reason I collect telephones to begin with is the nostalgia associated with them, and the rest is my need to occupy time with an interesting and technically minded hobby. Granted this is not the highest quality phone, neither is my Mickey Mouse or Country Junction phone, but they serve as fond reminders of my younger years.
Butch Harlow

HarrySmith

Very Cool! I did not know they were made of wood, I thought they were plastic! Nostalgia is the reason I got into this hobby also. The first phone I searched for was a Black WE 500. I had one installed in my room when I was 15 years old. My dad told me I had to get my own phone because I was tying his phone up for too long with my girlfriend! I followed the installer around as he ran a whole new copper line from the street to my bedroom and pestered him with questions, he was a nice guy. Finding old phones brought all that back like it was yesterday. I recently found the tool he gave me to remove the fingerwheels, it is not a Bell tool but it was what he prefered and it works great. When I get home I will get a picture up.

EDIT: I already posted a picture of the tool here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg148640#msg148640
It is the center one in my picture.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 26, 2019, 12:25:11 PM
I recently found the tool he gave me to remove the fingerwheels, it is not a Bell tool but it was what he prefered and it works great. When I get home I will get a picture up.

I still use a paperclip. However after spearing a fingertip on a stubborn one I can see why they made these. When I moved out and went to college I had a green 2500. That phone followed me wherever I went for a very long time. I am nearly certain it is still in storage somewhere but cannot find it. I gave up and started searching the Ebay for another...that is what became the beginning for me. Ironically, 50+ phones later I still do not have a green 2500.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

I think that you'll pull ducky through his beak problem with flying colors Butch.
I know how you feel when it comes to things you had when you were young. I also have the memories of those things.
Good luck with your Duck.

Ken
KEN