and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Texas phone show/swap meet/?

Started by RB, May 09, 2018, 01:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Are there any phone shows in Dallas?

kleenax

Hasn't been a phone show anywhere close to TX for a long time. Abilene, KS was the closest and most recent; last club-sponsored show there was in 2006.

There are only 2 "BiG" shows in the USA anymore: 1st weekend in June in Lancaster, PA (TCI), and 1st weekend in August in Shipshewana, IN (ATCA).  There are several other smaller, regional shows around the US, but mostly upper midwest, Florida, CA, and WA state.  Also one in Canada in August of this year in Kingston, Ontario.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RB

Thanks. That puts it completely out of reach :(
you would think as popular as phones are, Texas would not be left out...but...bummer.

kleenax

Quote from: RB on May 09, 2018, 04:38:36 PM
Thanks. That puts it completely out of reach :(
you would think as popular as phones are, Texas would not be left out...but...bummer.

Well unfortunately, there aren't apparently enough to support a show. You see, it costs money to put on a show, and takes a serious commitment from someone to host and organize a show. It takes a LOT of time and effort; trust me, I know! I have hosted shows a LOT, and am not really ever excited about hosting ever again!

BUT, if YOU think there is enough interest, by all means, find a place (a hall or gym or something like that) that you can afford the rent on, and host one yourself!  It sure helps to be a member of one or both of the clubs (TCI & ATCA) too, since you can then advertise on their listservers. Just remember, TX is a LONG ways away from pretty much everywhere in the US, so it will really effect attendance.

I have hosted shows "out of my own pocket" here in Michigan, and I did "OK" with (almost) breaking even over the years that Gene Doom & I put it on, but we lost our dirt-cheap hall ($300 including tables!), so we haven't had it for several years now. We had a few as 18 - 8 ft tables, and as many as 64 at one show! It was indeed a LOT of fun, and I don't think I ever had a dissatisfied collector, but WHEW, lots O work!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

IIRC there was an independent show in Texas not long ago. It was hosted by a couple of club members but did not have anough attendance so they stopped after only a couple of years. As you said it is a lot of work and cost money!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kleenax

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 09, 2018, 06:22:02 PM
IIRC there was an independent show in Texas not long ago. It was hosted by a couple of club members but did not have anough attendance so they stopped after only a couple of years. As you said it is a lot of work and cost money!
Yea, they actually had to cancel it as I recall even after several collectors had registered simply due to lack of participation. It's a "gamble" for sure to even put on a show since you NEVER know just how many people will even show up.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kleenax on May 09, 2018, 04:11:24 PM
Hasn't been a phone show anywhere close to TX for a long time. Abilene, KS was the closest and most recent; last club-sponsored show there was in 2006.

There are only 2 "BiG" shows in the USA anymore: 1st weekend in June in Lancaster, PA (TCI), and 1st weekend in August in Shipshewana, IN (ATCA).  There are several other smaller, regional shows around the US, but mostly upper midwest, Florida, CA, and WA state.  Also one in Canada in August of this year in Kingston, Ontario.
Jerry Williams continued to host the Abilene, KS until last year. There was low attendance over the last few years so he ended it. He told me he may have it again in a few years.
I try to attend at least 1 show each year. Since KS wasn't an option, for this year I  attended the Maitland, FL show in January.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

Don't feel too bad, there is no longer a show in New England either, closest one is PA
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RotarDad

This thread raises a big question in my mind: is the decline in shows related to a decline in this hobby due to aging of the interested parties, or has the volume of activity merely shifted online (this forum, EBay, etc.?  If some of both, what percentage is decline, and what percentage is online shift?  Opinions??
Paul

kleenax

Quote from: RotarDad on May 10, 2018, 02:21:58 AM
This thread raises a big question in my mind: is the decline in shows related to a decline in this hobby due to aging of the interested parties, or has the volume of activity merely shifted online (this forum, EBay, etc.?  If some of both, what percentage is decline, and what percentage is online shift?  Opinions??

The interest in vintage telephones just isn't there in today's "Millennials", the next logical collector generation. At every show that I have ever been to, you could count the attendees that are under 40 yrs old on 1 hand!
The primary decline in shows is indeed directly related to the aging of collectors in the US, and the associated loss of membership in the collector community.  Additionally, eBay isn't really a factor in my opinion.  In fact, many of us pick up many great deals AT shows to put on eBay!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

monophone_lover

Quote from: kleenax on May 10, 2018, 07:29:11 AM
The interest in vintage telephones just isn't there in today's "Millennials", the next logical collector generation. At every show that I have ever been to, you could count the attendees that are under 40 yrs old on 1 hand!
The primary decline in shows is indeed directly related to the aging of collectors in the US, and the associated loss of membership in the collector community.  Additionally, eBay isn't really a factor in my opinion.  In fact, many of us pick up many great deals AT shows to put on eBay!

This i. A good topic one that raced through my mind. The decline in prices is also a key factor in assessing this.. as this was the foundation. However i collect phones i also collect ashtrays lighter Ron son anything Art Deco There willl always be new collecters . The question is how many of you knowlgable people worked for phone company's. as this will. No longer be a base for collector (sadly)
I am 41 years old and started collecting aggressively in my early 20's basically when I could afford it, this is again something that will on a positive note. Be able to allow the younger collecters to get choice items at fair prices, thus th cycle starts again, by the time our grand children are collecting (for example) it will be the same. A group of about 12 to 15 collecters BOUGHT EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN... and then the scarceness also comes back. I'm not sure how much these phones were selling for before eBay. And what that has done is for me not important most of my big time phones were direct purchase, I don't know if this will help in you question but this is how is see it?
Rob
ATCA # 4057

Doug Rose

I have worked in the Telephone Industry all my adult life. It is what led me to collect telephones. None of the guys I worked with showed the slightest interest in old phones. I got some nice phones in the beginning from guys clearing out old phone systems.

There are a few of us in the Forum that worked in he industry, but we are a minority's the Forum.

I think most people might like one Nice working phone in their homes, that is my niche in selling. One that was like Nanny's. Then, of course, there are the people like us.

I do agree that the price of Telephones have gone done on eBay. Another reason I stopped eBay as there was not much profit with the lower selling prices, fees and taxes.

I do think old telephones will be wanted by people, but I do agree with Ray that as the older guys (me) move on,  there will be an issue in our hobby....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Yeah, if we cannot find a way to have one,two, etc.. old phones working over the internet in our homes, "as examples",
there will be no way any young peeps will put their smart phones down long enuf to even notice they are there...
Thats the key in furthering this hobby.
As has been stated, the wisdom is dying off, and will not be replaced, so, catch them now, or forget it.
I have "currently", 9 working phones on my network. through a switchboard,
and I can't wait for my grand kids to pick one up and say...huh?
Just a little longer, and we can start calling each other from room to room  :D

Doug Rose

My oldest grandson is 6, he loves to sneak into my phone room add play on my IPAD. 

"Grampy...you have a lot of telephones."

Want to see the insides and how it works?

"No thank you."  Can't beat Mario & Luigi...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Yeah, its all about the visual eye candy now days...