News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello to all from the newest forum member kwatter04

Started by kwatter04, August 21, 2011, 02:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

Wow, quite a collection you have amassed. I also just joined recently. My first return to the classics are chronicled here.
http://tinyurl.com/42vzkh7

I have been trying to avoid collecting more old classic phones due to space issues but I can't stay away from ebay.

I find myself stopping in thrift stores looking for the one phone I can steal.

I love my red 554 and I find myself calling it just to hear it ring more than once a day.

So far I still only have the one phone but I fear there is at least 10 more with my name on them somewhere.

paul-f

Quote from: liteamorn on August 23, 2011, 01:07:23 PM
I find myself calling it just to hear it ring more than once a day.

There are several ways to ring your phones without having to call. Among them...

• Ring Generator and pushbutton
  • Line Simulator (Also gives you a simple intercom capability for demos)
  • Phone Tester (Useful for troubleshooting)
  • Small PBX (Many of us seem to use the Panasonic 61610 or similar)
  • Manual Switchboard
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gpo706

"I am very new to all of this, having purchased my first vintage phone on June 12th of this year. I didn't even intend on collecting the phones when I purchased that one, I just wanted one functioning rotary phone to use in my apartment on my new landline. Once I received that phone (a 1974 bright red ITT 500) I was so captivated by how well it worked and how good it looked for a 37 year old phone that I was hooked. I quickly realized that I wasn't going to be able to have just 1...and within a few days purchased my second phone..."

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Secondary stage I diagnose.

Anyway welcome to the madhouse, enjoy!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

old_phone_man

Welcome Kyle!!

You have a nice collection.  Color phones are amazing!!

You will find lots of good information and lots of good people on this forum.

Greg G.

Quote from: kwatter04 on August 21, 2011, 11:10:01 PM
I find myself searching eBay practically every day looking for new listings!

Try Craigslist too, that's where I find most of mine.  Thrift stores are good sources too (sometimes).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Quote from: paul-f on August 23, 2011, 04:55:14 PM
Quote from: liteamorn on August 23, 2011, 01:07:23 PM
I find myself calling it just to hear it ring more than once a day.

There are several ways to ring your phones without having to call. Among them...

• Ring Generator and pushbutton
  • Line Simulator (Also gives you a simple intercom capability for demos)
  • Phone Tester (Useful for troubleshooting)
  • Small PBX (Many of us seem to use the Panasonic 61610 or similar)
  • Manual Switchboard

One more way, and one I've used, is a Bell System Teletrainer, made to teach schoolchildren telephone manners. It normally has 4-prong jacks in the back, and the phones have to be wired for ground ringing (yellow wire on G terminal with black wire from ringer), which is how most of the 1950s 500s I have are wired. Kids love it too, but if they use it a bit too much, that pleasant ring can get to be annoying.
Jonathan

paul-f

Good one, Jonathan!

Have you looked at the Teletrainer wiring diagram to see if there would be a problem hooking yellow and green together in an adapter cord (4-prong to 4-prong or modular or hardwired terminal block)?  It would make it easier to test phones wired for two-conductor cords.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line