News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2AE Dial???

Started by Doug Rose, June 16, 2016, 08:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Lousy pictures. How did they get it on a 202? I bit, phone is just a junker. Hopefully not too much damage to the dial. Face plate??? I hope I didn't throw $65 away!! Is the finger stop just bent? That's why they call it gambling  :-\...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131840830875
Kidphone

unbeldi

The FS is bent and screwed onto the housing.

poplar1

Here's another 2AA that "don't fit."
On a 302F, purchased last month for $29.95 + 11.15 shipping.
Has original 132-A number plate (no notch).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Telephone-Rotary-Dial-woven-cord-/282031596492
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Definitely another interesting 'make it fit' modification for the #2 dial!

This sounds a little crazy, but I'd keep the D1 as-is with the bent finger stop (cleaned up, of course)! It has the class of a B1 and #2 and the smooth lines of a D1!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Quote from: unbeldi on June 16, 2016, 08:20:53 PM
The FS is bent and screwed onto the housing.
Karl...that is what I was hoping!.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on June 16, 2016, 10:39:17 PM
Here's another 2AA that "don't fit."
On a 302F, purchased last month for $29.95 + 11.15 shipping.
Has original 132-A number plate (no notch).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Telephone-Rotary-Dial-woven-cord-/282031596492
David....how did you ever spot a #2 dial on that beat up 302?? I saw the auction, saw the crack and kept on going. Good eyes!
Kidphone

poplar1

I guess I took a chance on it. Maybe it was the nickel plated number card holder, with perforated card (that could also be used on non-dial desk stands by tearing off the edges).
If you look closely, you can see that the finger stop is not internally mounted, as in 4H or 5H.

Also, since it has an F1W (non-Bell) handset, it's less likely that it would have had a dial that had been converted from 2A to 4H -- which are sometimes found on Bell System 302s that made their way back to the WE Repair Shops. It probably would also have lost its fabric cords had it gone back to the shop.

Not sure who installed the dial that way! If it has friction tape (rather than electrical tape) on the slate-red jumper wire -- since there is no R terminal on a 2A dial -- then I'd bet the 2A dial was installed by a telephone repairman, who didn't have a spare 5H on his truck.  (I've been known to install green cords on beige 2565s at work, rather than go back to the storeroom. We used to get chewed out for being in the shop after 8:30 or before 4:15.)

TelePlay

Only one side photo posted in the listing, the finger stop side . . .

Could even be a notchless number plate, maybe. Nice find.

poplar1

Yes, it has a notchless 132-A number p!ate.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 18, 2016, 08:32:09 AM
Yes, it has a notchless 132-A number p!ate.

Ooooops! Missed that above. Actually, read it when first posted and just forgot, an old age thing.

andre_janew

Do you have any idea how long these phones have had their #2 dials? 

Doug Rose

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 17, 2016, 12:31:21 AM
Definitely another interesting 'make it fit' modification for the #2 dial!

This sounds a little crazy, but I'd keep the D1 as-is with the bent finger stop (cleaned up, of course)! It has the class of a B1 and #2 and the smooth lines of a D1!
Christian....I got the phone today and I just briefly looked at it. Dial is in amazing condition. Finger stop is bent and screwed into the D1 Base as Karl had said. Dial plate looks really good and worth the price along. I will look at it and see if maybe I can keep this as is and just clean it up. Thanks for your input....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The D1 base was shot, dents and corrosion. I carefully removed the 2AE finger stop that was screwed into the base, then the dial. I was surprised at how good the original paint was around the patents. The dial plate was  covered with like a lacquer that was an absolute (expletive deleted) to remove with all the layers of dirt underneath, it took me two hours with q-tips and Noxon. It was well worth it and it is as close to perfect as you could bet for this beauty. A bent the finger stop back as much as I dared, the are sturdy.

Screws don't match, but they hold it on. I am looking for a nice brass finger wheel with like new paint that I put somewhere for safe keeping!  :-\

I am very pleased with this dial...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Is a 2AE just a 2AA with the party line dial plate and the 2AE finger stop?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

It's just a 2A-type dial, which includes 2AA, 2AB, 2AE, etc.

The 132-E plate and fnger stop marked 2AE indicate that it's a 2AE dial.

Used in areas with a mixture of manual and dial central offices, so that the subscriber could dial the party line letter
J, M, R, or W at the end of a manual telephone number. The letters weren't part of phone numbers for lines served by "machine switching."