News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Splurged on another 50AL ;(

Started by Kenton K, November 12, 2014, 08:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I haven't bought a oldie in a while so I decided to splurge on a decent looking candlestick. I paid $90 for it and I think its fair. Not sure what type of dial plate it has. I hope it's notch less. I can't really tell if the paint is original either. Looks to be in some photos but not others. Well see when it arrives!

KK

JimH

Nice buy!  If that is a 2AA dial, it's worth that alone!  That is an early one.  It looks untouched since the 1920s.
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Dial plate does look unnotched, which would make this a very nice buy!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

Nice grab.  What are the patent dates along the base of the phone?  It would be interesting to know if this is an early 50al, or a later one. 
Dave

Kenton K

I'll post the patent dates once the phone arrives. What do the patent dates tell you?

KK

wds

There were 3 different sets of patent dates on the 50al. 

Model 50al – 1919-1925 - sidetone
(Pat in USA Aug 16 04 Sept 13 04 Jan 26 15 Jan 1 18 ) side / back – left side more rare
(Pat in USA  Sept 13 04 Jan 26 15 Jan 1 18 May 7 18) side
(Pat in USA  Sept 13 04 Jan 26 15 Jan 1 18 May 7 18 Sept 21 20) front

50al's with the earlier patent dates are more rare and more desirable.  Although any 50AL is a great find!
Dave

Kenton K

Interesting, I never knew that. I looked at my current sticks and I have one of each except for the earliest type on the left side. Also, the last variety is on one of my 51AL. How cool!

Kenton K

The phone just arrived and it looks good. Its actually a 51AL, not a 50AL. Still awesome though. The dial is a 2AA dial, with an original 132A dial plate! I'm pretty stoked about that. Made my day.

JimH

Very nice!  The dial with the dial plate in that condition is worth more than what you paid.  What are your plans for it, are you going to just shine it up and keep it original, or repaint it?
Jim H.

Kenton K

Oh, definitely leave it as is. With a little brasso, the original paint will shine and look great! I think repainting the phone will make it look worse!

Also, I noticed the 323 transmitter was originally nickel plated. It looks like WE painted it black sometime in its life. Very cool.

Thanks-Kenton