News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34 Project

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 19, 2017, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Yep, another project to add to the 5 or 6 that I'm 'currently working on!' A forum member sent me this AE34 (among other things) yesterday, and this one seemed like a project that I could start working on now. I'll post the other phone when I get to it; it falls under the 'extensive paint sanding' label. :)

The only major parts this one has are the housing, baseplate, and dial blank. The housing has a couple chunks missing from the rear vents, which will take a lot of work to fill, sand, and polish. The rest of the housing looks great, and hasn't been eaten away by skin oils.

I decided that I'm going to use Bondo Fiberglass Resin with black dye to repair the breaks. It was used already in this topic (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3690.0), and seems to be very sandable and polishes out well.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

Those side vents are not beyond repair. a silicone mold of the area, then a little resin. Finish with some hand work. Paint and you have good vents.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 19, 2017, 01:05:21 PM
Those side vents are not beyond repair. a silicone mold of the area, then a little resin. Finish with some hand work. Paint and you have good vents.

D/P
I agree completely. Rather than paint, I'm going to mix black dye in with the resin, so it's thoroughly black.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford