News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Russian Phone

Started by HarrySmith, July 04, 2018, 09:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I recently got a very cool Russian phone. They have been listed on eBay as a Soviet Director Phone & a KGB Phone. I have wanted one of these for a while, I just like the way they look. I connected my Panasonic today and it even works! There is no ringer, just a buzzer and the lights on the front flash on incoming calls. This was a gift from a friend here on the forum. I did a favor and this was his way of thanking me. I will leave it at that for now, we may divulge more later. I am going to put this one in for find of the month. I posted close-ups of the labels on the front and I am hoping someone here can tell me what they are. Thanks.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

That looks cool, have you figured out what all the buttons do? Is it like a key set type of deal?
I have seen what looks to be call directors on eBay.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Those are cool telephones. I have had them on my watch list in the past.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

The frosted windows on the front have neon bulbs to indicate  ringing lines.The larger "piano keys" select the telephone lines. the small rocker switches are hold switches.All mechanical no ksu buzzes on incoming calls.Red Dawn factory

RB

Mgd, economy, power

Key2871

Thanks Harry, what date(s). That's definitely a neat phon
KEN

HarrySmith

Thanks Robbie. I had figured out the big buttons on the front were for the different lines but I was not sure about the buttons on the side. Now I know they are hold buttons. The small button under them releases the hold button. The only date I found is on the dial, 67. I am very happy with it, it will be displayed in a prominent place with my collection.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Will write something as soon as I sober up from celebrating ;)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

HarrySmith

FYI - This Cool Russian Director Phone will be up for sale soon. I recent;y discovered it is like a switchboard. It is meant to control 5 other phones and 1 outside line. I am working on more info.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

The handset cord on my Russian phone was twisted up. I decided to try & straighten it out. When I opened the phone I found the ends of the wires cut off with bare wire wrapped around the terminals. Some loose strands were touching other terminals. I decided to change the cord. I dug out a NOS coiled cord and replaced it. When I was done it did not work. The phone rang when I called it but no sound. I went over the connections, even got a picture from someone who has one of these. Everything looked right! I decided to take it all apart and start over. When I removed the metal contact bar for the element it fell apart. Apparently it was bent & broke at some point but was barely hanging together but not making contact. I temporarily hooked up the element and everything works. I had to make a new contact for it, picture below. It is now working & ready to go. Any interested parties please PM me.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Crikey Harry, well done sorting that lot out.  :)
I'm flummoxed just looking at the rewire on my little 'modified' Laurent.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

That's the fun part! Tracking down these things, making parts and getting them working. On your phone I would rip out everything he did and start from scratch with the correct schematic. Easy! Nothing to it :o ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Yup, that makes it real. the interesting part of fixin stuff...
finding the fault, and then fabricating a new part to replace something that's no longer available.
that thing must have been for small offices.
Good sleuthing Harry!

HarrySmith

I just received notice my NOS Russian phone was delivered! I am very excited about this one, I can't wait to see what it looks like! I will try to get some pictures up tonight.

I tried FOM for the last one I got but I think I will submit this new one this month!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sergey Paganini

Hello, the phone that you have in the photo is called in Russian KD-6 (KD-6) is translated as a director's hub for 6 lines. It was manufactured in the USSR at the Perm Telephone Plant (now called Telta) from the late 1950s to the mid-1970s. I often repaired these devices. and I want to say that the handset on your device is not original. This handset with a PTT was used in military field telephones of the TAI-43 (TAI-43) type. A real pipe should look like this. It is called МТ-9 (MT-9) Translates as handset model No. 9

< edit 03-13-22: image removed, rotated, reattached >
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25927