"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"500" 2 Line w/Exclusion (515B ?)

Started by George Knighton, December 28, 2012, 11:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

http://tinyurl.com/cgyjsj4

I'm not into 500's just yet, but it seems to me this is unusual enough that somebody would want it.

I don't know what it is, but as of now it's cheap, seems to be two-line, and seems to have an exclusion plunger.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Couple of pictures from the auction.

Annoying new poster.

RotarDad

From Paul-F.com:

515B: Two line w/ signal key and hold button, 6-conductor mounting cord.

The switch in the lower left corner is the signal key for the line selection, and the pull-up left plunger is a hold button.  Since this is a later modular set, many of us have much less interest in it.  Also, the plastics seem to have aged to different colors (the dial and cord are darker).   I believe there are much better 500s to be had on Ebay for the money.  Still, I haven't seen too many 515s, most 2-lines you see are 510s.
Paul

George Knighton

Ha ha ha ha....

Sorry.  It looked weird enough to me to mention it.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

RotarDad

Paul-f.com is an invaluable resource.  Paul Fassbender has amassed a huge library of online info regarding phones, particularly Western Electric.  You can easily look up model numbers, colors, etc.  I've learned a lot from this site, and I refer to it often when I find something unusual on Ebay.  I didn't know for sure what a 515B was either, but paul-f.com always knows ;)
Paul

paul-f

Thanks for the kind words, Paul.

One possible reason the housing and handset are a different color could be that they were painted (probably with polane) during refurb.  This often happened with white.  The polane didn't fade much at all, but the number ring, being mormal plastic, did.  Look closely and see if you can see evidence.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotarDad

Paul -  Thanks for your input.  You may be right about the paint, but it is hard to tell from the pics - the resolution isn't the best.  One thing for sure is that the shell is much newer than the phone. The base is dated 3-66 which wouldn't be modular, and the shell has the '69 logo Bell with "Western Electric" to the right of the logo.  When did WE start using that style emblem on the shells - late 70s or maybe even 80s?
Paul

poplar1

Refurbished in 1983 (sticker says 83IL-4 B). 1982-1983 is about right for the Bell Logo + Western Electric. In 1984 they started putting "AT&T" instead.

The company name "Western Electric" changed to "AT&T Technologies"  if I recall correctly. The housings were marked "AT&T."

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.